Replacing a Starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing a Starter

I'm actually embarrassed to ask this, but I tried to change out my starter but couldn't get it off.

I have a 1997 5.4 V8 F-150 w/ 4wd Auto.

It all went good (disconnecting it electrically), but when I went for the bolts that held it on, I could only get to one of them (from the manual, there are suppose to be only 2).

Are there any tricks to getting to the second one (I can't see it but I think I can feel it).

I don't have any air tools so I'm doing this the old fashion way with just craftsman hand tools.

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

George

Old 04-24-2004, 02:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... The manual is wrong. I found out the hard way about a year ago. My 5.4 had 3 bolts holding on the starter. Having JDM long tube headers made the job even worst. You have to get a whole bunch of long 3/8 extensions and go in from the front of the truck. It would be easier to have a friend guide the socket on for you as you losen them from the front.

Old 04-24-2004, 05:04 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
George,

How many bolt holes are on your replacement starter? There should be two that are visible, the bottom one and the middle one. The top one can be reached by using a 13mm socket with a Universal joint and a 6 inch extention. The universal joint needs to be stiff. If it isn't, use tape around it to stiffen it. Insert the U joint into the socket then the extention into the U joint. Do not use the ratchet handle yet. Using your left hand as a guide slide the socket over the top of the starter and onto the bolt. You may have to turn the shaft of the extention to allow it to line up with the bolt. Once it is on slide the ratchet handle on to the extention. Line up the square of the ratchet with the square in the extention and it will slip on easier. After you brake the bolt loose you can undo it till the ratchet handle hits the motor support. Once this happens you will see why the use of a U joint was required. By bending the extention you can creat enough room to remove the ratchet and continue removing the bolt by hand. I lay down under the truck and close my eyes to do these. With my eyes open all kinds of shït falls down into them.

Neal's truck is a SOB because of his long tubes. There was very little space to use the left hand as a guide.

Good luck,

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Replacing a Starter