Oil Light Comes On, and Temp Gauge Goes HOT...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know about the 97 models, but the newer ones (2003) ect.
When running hot the check engine light and the oil light will come on. If the truck is not cooled down, the engine will go into limp mode. This is where the V8 will only ignite on every other cyld.. That way the cylds that dont light will suck air to help cool the engine. Then if the engine gets even hotter, it will shut down all the way. Only to start back when the engine has cooled. This safty feature, if it has it, may be malfunctioning.

Just my thoughts
Chuck

Old 04-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, no problem, man. Just glad you got it figured out before your dad went and dropped BIG $$$$ at the dealer.

Of course, now he has the same issue I do: how didi the fluid get so low in the first place? Mine initially took 2 gallons!

Like I say, mine comes and goes, and seems fine as long as I'm highway driving.

Gonna have to assess the situation this weekend. At least the Lightning is out of storage today (new a hood and side mirrors), so I have another vehicle to use.

I think ol' chuckpenn is right about the limp mode thing; that would explain the oil light coming on and the loss of power I felt.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Oil Light & Oil temp -kind of same issue??

I have a 2003 F150 Supercrew w/140k miles. I have several issues over the years, but my latest is my oil light and oil temp gauge keeps popping on and off. I have found that after my truck is warmed up and I am idling at a light or such the oil light will go on and gauge will drop off, but if I give it gas (has to be at least enough to get 1,000 rpm) it goes off and as soon as it idles down below 1,000 rpm it comes back on. I can “fix” by putting it into neutral or leaving it in drive and giving gas. My husband has already changed the oil sensor and changed the oil. I can also put in park to “fix” this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 08-02-2022, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by 1997F150_TN
My Dad called the dealership, and they agree that it sounds like an electrical problem.

I was just on the phone with my Dad as he was driving to the dealership, and all of this happened while we were talking.

When the temperature gauge is in the normal range, the heater blows "warm" air. As the temp gauge rises, the air gets COLDER...as soon as the gauge gets into the red, the oil light comes on, and the air gets hot. Then the needle immediately starts droping back toward "normal", the oil light goes out, and the air gets a little warmer than at first, but not as warm as it should be.

All of that happened in 30 seconds or so.
this same thing just happened to my 98f150 xlt 4.6 v8. Please help!! Does anyone know why this happens?

Quick Reply: Oil Light Comes On, and Temp Gauge Goes HOT...HELP!!