Tapping noise - no load only

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapping noise - no load only

Pardon me if I make a mistake here as this is my first post. I have read everything I can find here on engine tapping noises and can't find a post that matches my situation. I have a 1999 Expedition with the 5.4 and 69k miles. Beginning yesterday afternoon the engine has begun a tapping noise, similar I think to a stuck lifter, only when there is no load on the engine. The tapping is there when the engine starts and then quiets and seems to go away. As long as the engine is under load, even slightly, there is no noise. When I take my foot of the gas coming up to a light it sounds like the valve train is going to rattle apart. If I power brake to the light there is no noise. The noise occurs at all speeds. The noise has magnified greatly in the last 50 miles.

Can anyone offer advice before I take to the dreaded dealer who has lied to me twice before? I have a Taurus SHO so I'm familiar with dealers searching for answers and do all work on that car myself as a result. I have no experience with this vehicle and I'm not sure that I want to start. (I am also restoring a Corvette and you can only work on things so much.)

Any help is appreciated!

Old 03-30-2004, 10:56 AM
tapping

Did you read the article on #3 spark plug?

Old 03-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Yeah I read about the spark plugs blowing out. From what I've read that is a show stopper because the plug is gone. This is not the case here.

FWIW here is what happened today. Went to the dealer and the service manager immediately said that it was either a rod or main bearing. $3000 to install a new crank with bearings or $5,100 for new engine. Started to inquire how much they would give me on a trade in and caught myself. Their engine blew in 70,000 miles - I'm done with Ford. The service here in Tulsa could not be worse. I asked if they would help me with a rental car for three days and he said "No, but if you give me the OK now I can have it done by Friday night." I asked if their FREE shuttle service would give me a ride to work for three days... his reply - no. On top of building an absolute piece of crap they offer NO customer service or any hint of compassion - even while they are screwing you!

I have already found a shop that will install a Jasper engine with a transferable warranty for $3,600. Interestingly enough when I called Jasper the salesperson explained to me, without me asking, how they rebuild the engines to eliminate the original design flaws. And he addressed most of the major issues that I found on this forum. BTW the dealer also informed me that me head gasket is leaking which is another reason that I should replace the entire engine. I wont take up any more space on this forum - which was very helpful in educating me quickly.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:56 PM
I know you'll hate this but.....3600 for a new engine is a pretty GOOD deal. I'm down here in Chickasha and I'd like to know where that place is in case I get in the same predicament. Unfortunently, that year had some problems with the castings and heads. There are a few folks that have had new engines put in by Ford. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I've never heard of the Jasper replacement engine.

Old 04-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Yeah you're right, it WOULD'VE been a good deal. The actual cost was $4,500 when I picked the truck up Friday. I still think it was a fair deal. In addition to the engine they replaced the water pump, spark plugs, new head gaskets, both radiator hoses and the serpentine belt. It runs smooth now and I'm back on warranty. The mechanic said that there is no way the noise was piston slap, it was either a rod bearing or main bearing. Pretty disappointing either way.

Quick Reply: Tapping noise - no load only