Synthetic Oil Suppliers: This may Amaze You

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Synthetic Oil Suppliers: This may Amaze You

Once a former employee had told me that there were only (2) companies in North America that produced synthetic oils. About a year ago I changed careers and now am employed by one of the largest comerical and light vehicle component suppliers in the world.

Recently I was part of a seminar that involved the Corporate Scientist and chief lubrication engineer (whom happens to hold every SAE, MPI, API, etc. certification known to mankind). My question to the scientist: "How many companies in North America manufacture synthetic oils?" His reply was TWO! Mobile manufactures sythetic oils. The other company, I cant remember the name-which starts with a "C", and is located very close to Cincinnatti, OH.

It appears that many other companies purchase and rebrand synthetics for resale.

The scientist stated that synthetics were no better than dino oil, if dino oil was changed at an interval, before additive packages become depleted.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:29 PM
castrol?

Old 03-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Not castrol, nor any other oil manufactuer that I recognized.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:35 PM
continental oil (conoco)

Old 03-23-2004, 10:36 PM
is the other company called chevron??

Old 03-23-2004, 10:46 PM
My wife blew a hose on her Mustang once and drove it to the first off ramp to get it off the freeway. About a half mile. That cost me an engine. It had Castrol GTX in it. A couple years ago I was driving my wifes Dodge Aries to work and the temp went off the gage. I turned around and drove it home. About 6 miles. The next day I found out I had lost a frost plug and had NO water in it. I replaced the plug, Refilled the rad., changed the (moble 1) oil, and the woman that I sold it to a year later is still driving it. Yes, dino oil will work just fine. When the s**t hits the fan I want synthetic in my vehicles. I run synthetic in all my rides. Truck, car, and motorcycle.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:57 PM
The lubrication scientist will be at our facility Wednesday or Thursday. I will make a point to ask the name of the other synthetic oil manufactuer. It was not Chevron, or Conoco.

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2004, 11:22 PM
When the s**t hits the fan I want synthetic in my vehicles. I run synthetic in all my rides.
Interesting read. Nothing but Mobil 1 5w-30 full synth. for my pickup!

Old 03-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by gearmanx17
The lubrication scientist will be at our facility Wednesday or Thursday. I will make a point to ask the name of the other synthetic oil manufactuer. It was not Chevron, or Conoco.

When the **** hits the fan for me I feel confident in my Polyol Ester based Red Line Synthetic. The **** outperforms all others as far as shearing, friction co-efficient, film strength, and extreme temps.

Mobil 1 is better than Dino oils for extreme use. I think this scientist is full of ****.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:18 AM
Re: Synthetic Oil Suppliers: This may Amaze You

Once a former employee had told me that there were only (2) companies in North America that produced synthetic oils. About a year ago I changed careers and now am employed by one of the largest comerical and light vehicle component suppliers in the world.

Recently I was part of a seminar that involved the Corporate Scientist and chief lubrication engineer (whom happens to hold every SAE, MPI, API, etc. certification known to mankind). My question to the scientist: "How many companies in North America manufacture synthetic oils?" His reply was TWO! Mobile manufactures sythetic oils. The other company, I cant remember the name-which starts with a "C", and is located very close to Cincinnatti, OH.

It appears that many other companies purchase and rebrand synthetics for resale.

The scientist stated that synthetics were no better than dino oil, if dino oil was changed at an interval, before additive packages become depleted.
DO YOU THINK YOU SHOULD CLARIFY THAT IS PROBABLY ONLY RELATED TO BASE OILS AND THAT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BASE OIL AND FINISHED PRODUCT?????

SECONDLY THE SO CALL SCIENTIST WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PROVE THAT SYNTHETIC BASE STOCKS HAVE 5 TIMES THE FILM STRENGHT OF A CONVENTIONAL BASE STOCK?

Old 03-24-2004, 09:23 AM
Re: Synthetic Oil Suppliers: This may Amaze You

That is the weirdist thing, I wonder why Amsoil has a several million gallon tank farm with blending machines, lab, and packaging equipment. When all they would have to do is just relable the product.

Would you think base oil would be different than finished product??

Old 03-24-2004, 09:39 AM
gearmanx.

Ask himabout Purple Royal as I understand they also produce their own. It mat be from the 2 companies that supply base materials, but I do believe there formulation is their own. The Chemical plant that I work at that is all we use is PR.

Sled...

Old 03-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Synthetic Oil

Would it be "Conklin" Co. Conklin has a long track record for making oil, other lubricants, roof topping, and the list goes on and on. I use Conklin, and am getting ready to put it in my motorcycle. I've used Conklin in my truck since 24K, and I've noticed a difference. I hope that's it. I think they are out of Dublin, OH.

If I'm right, do I win anything....

Old 03-24-2004, 08:50 PM
The name of the other company that produces synthetic oil is: Cognis. Cognis is located in Cincinnati, OH.
As for the answer to all other questions--I do not have the answers. This post was meant to pass on info. from a lubrication scientist.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:50 PM
So is the over-all consensus is that syn is better for your rig than the real thing? I have never done research on diff brands (syns or nats) What are pros and cons for each?

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Suppliers: This may Amaze You