foaming oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
foaming oil

i have a 2001 F-150 ext cab 4.6 triton v-8 engine and the oil is foaming/milky under the fill cap. the compression is good no oil in the water and no overheating problem. no loss of oil or coolant. dealer says its condensation under the valve covers and its nothing to worry about they{the dealer} have it now and are going to flush the oil and i pick it up tomorrow. other people i know who have the same motor do not have this problem. i'm worried that something major could go wrong if i don't get this resolved. ....can anyone help me!!!!!

Old 03-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is normal, and is due to condensation. If you don't do a lot of extended driving where the oil gets nice and hot, a certain anount of moistures will remain, and this is the result. There are plenty of previous threads concerning this issue.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:18 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
This is normally the result of short, frequent trips. Such trips (less than 5-10 miles) do not get the engine oil hot enough for a long enough time to evaporate all the mositure out of the crankcase.

Do be on the lookout for PCV problems though, as a malfunctioning PCV system can also cause this, especially if your driving pattern does not match that described above.

Steve

Quick Reply: foaming oil