Amsoil PI improver

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil PI improver

I bought some of the Amsoil PI performance improver to put in my truck and put the whole bottle in my truck. I noticed it did not have a seal on the bottle so I emailed Amsoil. They say the bottle should have a seal on it so I don't know what the heck I have just poured in my gas tank.

Has anybody else used this product and did it have a seal on the top of the bottle?

Old 03-15-2004, 03:59 PM
They have only started putting the seal on the PI in the last few months(maybe 6 months?) I don't think that my last case(I bought last year) had seals on them. I just picked up another case of PI and they had the seals.

If you bought the product from a store or a stocking dealer, it could have been some of the older batch that didn't have seals.

I wouldn't say that it was contaminanted though.

The question is: Did it make a difference?

Old 03-15-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by msparks
They have only started putting the seal on the PI in the last few months(maybe 6 months?) I don't think that my last case(I bought last year) had seals on them. I just picked up another case of PI and they had the seals.

If you bought the product from a store or a stocking dealer, it could have been some of the older batch that didn't have seals.

I wouldn't say that it was contaminanted though.

The question is: Did it make a difference?
The truck is still running so far. I poured the entire 16 ounces into the gas tank so I don't know how long it would take to notice any difference...

Thanks for the reply though.

Old 03-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Sometimes when I don't use PI for a while then I use it I will notice on that tank and will usually see a significant "improvement" in fuel economy.

Hopefully you topped up and will check your mileage on this tank to see.

Secondly, to get the best results Amsoil recommends to use the stuff consistantly for about 1,000 miles. Using the recommended dose of 1 oz per 10 gallons. So if I were you I would get a second bottle to use on the next few tanks.

Hope this helps

Old 03-15-2004, 08:52 PM

I talked to the Amsoil dealer I bought the PI from and he said all this seal talk was bull**** and that I could return the product. I told him it was a little late since I poured the whole bottle into my gas tank. I thought he might think like I did that he, the dealer was getting deceived/ripped off and wonder what was going on. I am very leary of this fellow now and am looking for another dealer in my area. Maybe I will just order the stuff through the internet from now on.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by temp1
I talked to the Amsoil dealer I bought the PI from and he said all this seal talk was bull**** and that I could return the product. I told him it was a little late since I poured the whole bottle into my gas tank. I thought he might think like I did that he, the dealer was getting deceived/ripped off and wonder what was going on. I am very leary of this fellow now and am looking for another dealer in my area. Maybe I will just order the stuff through the internet from now on.
As with anything, not all Amsoil Dealers are created equal. I guess customer service is not his forte!!

You can send me an email if you like. (look in my profile)

Old 03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
temp1, like msparks said, don't be concerned that the bottle didn't have a seal. I buy the PI a case at a time and use it for my personal use. The last bottle I took out of the case didn't have a seal on it either. After the initial first bottle I've found that if I put 4 oz's in every other tank full then the MPG remain up. If I happen to skip the PI for between 5-10 tanks the MPG drops slightly. I just threw out an old log book from a 1986 CJ-7 I had. The first time I ever used PI was in that truck and the mileage with the first bottle went from an average of 13.0-13.7 up to 14.8. I had never used any other cleaners in it before that and it was a carbed engine. With FI I think there's potential for even more benefit (fuel injector cleaning) with the PI.
BTW, was it you that was having the trouble with the 75W-140 Amsoil and chatter from your rear end? I hadn't had any trouble with the Amsoil 75W-90 I had in my rear but I just did rear axle seals so it needed to be changed. I put the 75W-140 in with 1 bottle of Amsoil Slip-Lock and it's working fine. I was just wondering if you got it worked out... if it was you.

Last edited by davet; 03-17-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by davet
BTW, was it you that was having the trouble with the 75W-140 Amsoil and chatter from your rear end? I hadn't had any trouble with the Amsoil 75W-90 I had in my rear but I just did rear axle seals so it needed to be changed. I put the 75W-140 in with 1 bottle of Amsoil Slip-Lock and it's working fine. I was just wondering if you got it worked out... if it was you.
Yes, that was me. I put in 4 bottles of the Slip-Lock and it seems to have helped but I still get chatter sometimes.

Quick Reply: Amsoil PI improver