Please help on an 85 Ranger!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help on an 85 Ranger!

My friend has an 85 Ranger with a 2.0, and it's missing BAD, but not when it's idling. It runs fine when it's idling, but as soon as it gets into gear and starts moving at all, it misses so bad that you have to shove the clutch in and rev it up so it will even get any forward motion again. It sounds to me like a fuel filter, but anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance, y'all!

Old 03-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Fuel might be a good guess. Missing under load can also be caused by problem with secondary ign. ( bad rotor, cracked cap, old plugs wires.) can be especally bad if weather is damp.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:49 AM
We are going to switch out his fuel filter on lunch, it's right on the carb, and if that doesn't make any difference, we're going to change out the distributor/rotor in the morning. One of the bolts that holds the cap on doesn't seem to fit, and I just noticed when I went out and looked, one bolt that holds the cap on has been replaced by a bread tie. I think that we may have found the problem. Thank y'all, but any more info on this engine/truck would be invaluable.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this

Wait until it's darker out, or close the hood a bit to get it nice and dark under there. Get a spray bottle (or water gun or something)
And spray it on the spark plug wires at the block with the motor running. Then spray it on the rotor where the wires attach as well. If the plug wires start to arc (spark, that is) Then you've got bad wires, and will need to relace them. Just my 2 Cents...

Jim

Quick Reply: Please help on an 85 Ranger!