Will I REALLY get more power???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will I REALLY get more power???

Greetings!
I have a '97 4.6 and am wondering if purchasing the Airaid kit or something similar is worth the expense. What about headers?
The two combined would cost over $800. Anyone out there have either of these; and was it worth the cost? What about gas milage? Can't get over 13 with city/freeway driving.

Thanx!

Old 03-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric fans would be cheaper than the intake/headers combo and give you more usuable power gains and probably more better gas milage gains. Intake/header gains are more in the higher RPM's. Getting rid of the fan clutch/fan reduces drag which will benefit you in the lower RPM's too.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What 01screw said........

IMO, those mods are only effective at creating more "power" in the upper end. Meaning, you've got to be at the engines redline to see the actual HP gains.

I've not done the electric fan deal, but I did add a 3" catback exhaust and that seemed to open up some low end (usable) power. It started out as a Gibson Swept Side and that was an improvement over the stock muffler. Two years later, it developed a rattle, so it was replaced with another muffler and it improved even more!!

I don't get any better mpg's, or at least not that makes any difference in the bill. But, my towing performance is much better that's for sure!

Quick Reply: Will I REALLY get more power???