overdrive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overdrive?

ive got a 2003 fx4 5.4 w/3.55 gears and was wondering what produced a better 1/4 mle time, overdrive on or off?

thanx for the input

Old 02-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are at WOT, then I don't think you'll ever see OD anyway. Even if you are on the Bonneville Salt Flats.....

If you do get into OD, then you'll just be slowed by the computer, unless you have an aftermarket chip or programmer that overrides the ~100 mph govener.

I don't think the tranny cares if the OD is turned ON or OFF when you are at WOT in a 1/4 mile run anyway. It'll still shift at it's pre programmed RPM setting and the computer won't let the engine rev above it's max anyway if you decide to "manually" shift the tranny.

I drive around, for the most part, with the OD off. This is just so it won't go into OD on a flat stretch and only going 45 mph...... I don't even like it when I'm on the highway and in traffic that's going between 50-60 mph...... I like driving in third with the rpms in the 2 grand range so you can use the go pedal to speed up or slow down (compression) as traffic speeds up and slows down.

I'd just switch the OD off anyway if I were you. No need for OD in a 1/4 mile run anyway......

Old 02-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanx

thanx mitch,

for some reason i had in my head that it ran smoother in OD but raced better in OD OFF. Thanx for the info im gonna drive around with it off and see if i like it.

semper fi

Quick Reply: overdrive?