Code Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code Scanner

This is my first post and I am not entirely sure this is the right area for my question. I have a 99 F150 and I am looking at purchasing a code scanner. I am looking for a handheld not one for the PC. I also have noticed there is at least one with the ability to change parameters on the engine and transmission and I think I wouldn't mind having that ability as well. Is that ability really worth it? I have 3 other vehicles and it might be nice to be able to read them as well with a single unit, but that is not a requirement. I figure which ever I get it will more than pay for itself since I tend to keep vehicles forever. Which is better and what do you all recommend?

I have learned so much from you all and have really appreciated all the information.

Thanks

Old 01-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Autozone carries a durable no frills code reader from Actron, but I would suggest an Auto Xray as a handheld. They range from $199-$599 depending on what you want it to do.

If you ever change your mind on hooking up to a PC or Palm, you might check Auto Xray. We use them on out fleet and the diagnostic software is fantastic. But if you really want to blow your mind, check out the CarChip EX. We started using them on the Police, Fire and City vehicles that had intermittent problems.

I've seen a Hickok flash tool AKA power loader, but I haven't heard of anyone seriously benefiting from using one. It certainly doesn’t fall into an acceptable horsepower vs. cost. There are plenty of lower cost horsepower gains out there to take advantage of.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:09 PM
The Superchips Micro Tuner is also a code reader. Go to the "computer chips" forum and do a search. Should tell you everything you want to know.

Quick Reply: Code Scanner