Weird Engine or Something Else

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Engine or Something Else

So I just bought my 2000 F150 with around 100k on it, recently replaced the TPS and the plugs. Since the first drive and still, I have a lag from when the trottle is opened to when the RPMs begin to increase..... No codes in the computer, and TPS looks fine on the graph.... Any thoughts? Engine trait?

Old 11-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Need new air and/or fuel filter? EGR valve and/or intake needs cleaned?

Last edited by Wombat; 11-12-2003 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Which engine? I've got a 2000 F150 5.4L. I agree with you that exhibits the same performance trait.

I purchased mine used at 36K and am now at 52K. I've replaced the fuel filter since getting it, and have added an AirForce 1 intake system, and dual Flowmaster cat-back exhaust.

Based on an article I read here recently, I'm getting ready to clean the throttle body to try and address a rough idle issue when the truck is in gear. Maybe that might help the slow response at low RPMs issue???

There was also an thread in here where someone suggested changing the voltage on the TPS, I believe, in order to force it to feed more air to the engine at low RPMs. Haven't gotten around to trying that one yet.

Old 11-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Hummmm interesting, when I used the Snap-On Vantage (Graphing Digital Multimeter) the troubleshooter said I was within specs on the low end and when the trottle was closed, but on the open side, I was a little higher than they said, however they did say about __ voltage (I can't rember the __).... I don't have a rough idle, according the under the hood emisions sticker, I'm right on the RPM specs... I replaced my fuel filter less than 1,000 miles ago too, ditto with air filter. One guy I was talking to thought maybe a sudden drop on one senser might be the problem, but that would take too freaking long to find that one out... What's weird is, EGR and I think the PCV would both have an effect on the SMOG, but I got LOW as can be results... I wonder if this maybe a problem across the board whatever it is, cause I've got the 4.6L.... Sorry for the rambiling here, but for some reason... I'M beat... anymore ideas?

Old 11-13-2003, 07:53 AM
I have an 02 with a 4.6. I now have 22k miles on it and have taken it back to the dealer 4 times complaining of "lack of throttle response" If I get on the pedal pretty good it seems the truck sits until the RPM's get up to about 2500. I have driven Ford motors for 20 years and think this one is the worst. The dealer has said each time it was normal!! They run it through all the test each time and all is well according to them. I think it's bull. Working on trading for a new Van for the wife and gettin a good ole 351.

Quick Reply: Weird Engine or Something Else