Checking coil on #1 cylinder? 99 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checking coil on #1 cylinder? 99 5.4

Okay, I've got a bad miss on acceleration and rough idle after washing my engine 3 days ago. After searching the boards for info I had Autozone check the codes because the SES light finally came on. Code read P0301 which from the info here I think means cyl. 1. I removed the coil pack and checked for water and made sure everything was dry and then reinstalled. Still had miss and stumble. My question is exactly how do I check the coil to see if its gone bad. I can't return a coil pack after install so I would like to be sure of the failure and that it is indeed the 1 cyl. coil that is bad. From what I gather the #1 is front left when standing in fornt of the engine. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-03-2003, 12:34 PM
I would check all the plugs after washing the engine. Any way the easiest way to check a coil is exchange it for the one on #2 cylinder and see if the miss moves over. Never seen one get washed that didn't miss.

tom

Old 11-03-2003, 12:36 PM
OH.. Number one cylinder is on the passenger side front number two next back.
#5 Driver's side front and numbered back.

Pretty much the same as every Ford engine.

tom

Old 11-03-2003, 12:46 PM
You can check what they call the primary and secondary resistance on the coil pack. Check the resistance from the END of the coil (the part that touches the spark plug) to each of the two connection points.

I just made sure that the values matched a "good" coil pack on my 02. Be careful, though, to test from the same point on the coil wire. The resistance will change depending on position at which you check the coil.

If you do need a new coil pack, go to NAPA or AutoZone. Their prices are about half of the Ford dealers'.

NAPA and AutoZone have the part for a 99, but Ford, of course, changed the connector in 2000 and the aftermarket hasn't caught up with it yet.

Mental Note: Don't Wash Your Engine!!!!!

Sidewinder

Old 11-03-2003, 12:57 PM
It also doesn't hurt to reseat the coil last time I changed plugs on mine I had a miss on #5. I pulled the coil and plug again all looked ok reinstalled it and it was fine.

I think it may just be possible to get the spring in the coil to miss the end of the plug and go beside it.

I have bought two aftermarket coils for my 2000 5.4. I got them from advanced auto and they were Sorenson coils. See no difference to them and the Original Ford except they are cheaper to buy.

tom

Quick Reply: Checking coil on #1 cylinder? 99 5.4