F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   4.6 to 5.4 or New heads? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/128794-4-6-5-4-new-heads.html)

JMC 11-21-2003 09:33 AM

Steve,

I don't need to know about the exhaust. I just want to know if the truck runs? ;)

JMC

sclime 11-22-2003 04:22 PM

:banana:
The moment you all have been waiting for has arrived.

It RUNS!!!!

I finished hooking up the vacuum lines this morning and made a tee fitting for the antifreeze temp sensors. Turned the key and waited about 30 seconds to see if any idiot lights came on. None, so went ahead and cranked it. It sputtered quite a bit, but I floored it and cranked again, this time LIFE. Let it clear a little and it revs and idles just fine.

The only problem I have is where the remote oil assembly connects to the block, needs to have a gasket made as it leaks a little oil. Other than that, I still need to make some brackets for the EGR valve assembly and a stronger bracket for the passenger side coil pack. Have to go to town to get gasket material and a piece of tube for the idle air valve. and should be able to drive it tomorrow.

I still don't have the Superchip, so it is running on the factory PCM and seems to be fine. I'm sure I won't have the power of the 5.4 until I get the chip, but it seems to run fine. Mike has sent the chip in for programming so should have it next week.

I will update the post after I have a chance to drive it.

Thanks for everyones support. Could not have done this without your help. :bows:

Steve

JMC 11-22-2003 08:18 PM

Way to go Steve!!! Good work.

JMC

LE PEW 11-22-2003 09:10 PM

originally posted by Sclime

It RUNS!!!!

Congrats!!!!!! I knew it would. Despite all the electronic sensors and sophisticated PCM on the truck it still cant tell if it's all bolted onto a 4.6 or a 5.4 block. You pulled a fast one on the computer. :D

Good job, now I've got a notion to shop around for a lightning short block.

Do you know if Mike Troyer is going to fatten the A/F ratios on your current chip or reprogram it to a 5.4 program from a similarly equipped truck?

Pittsburgh 11-22-2003 11:56 PM

Hmmm after reading this and talking to JMC, think I might have to give this a try.

iron horse 11-23-2003 02:18 AM

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!

......again, thanks for sharing your experience. Look forward to reading your updates. I now feel better about my pending 99' 4.6 swap to a lighting 5.4.
:beers:

sclime 11-25-2003 08:01 AM

LE PEW,
Mike is programming the chip to run as a 2001 5.4. I don't think he is going to fatten the A/F ratios.

I should have the chip by next week. I plan on finishing up the brackets I need to make on Friday this week and will then take it out for a spin. I talked to Ford about the Remote Oil Filter and the O-ring I need, but they don't have one in stock. Will have to make a pattern and check the local auto parts stores for one.

I won't have any time to work on it until Thurs or Fri this week. Will post more later.

Steve

sclime 11-27-2003 10:13 AM

I drove the truck last night. I can tell right away the torque difference even with the PCM being for the 4.6. It seems to run fine, but I know I am not getting the performance out of the 5.4 that should be there. I also did get a check engine light after driving it about 5 miles. Can't speculate what set the light other than the PCM doesn't know how to handle the additional cubes. Should be getting the chip from Troyer next week so will know more then.

Mike told me to make sure and not accelerate too hard with it until I get the chip in so I don't do any harm to the motor. I don't want to set a lean condition and burn the pistons so I will most likely let it sit until I have the chip.

I am getting a slight vibration when I get into high gear under light acceleration and when I let off, it stops. I know I am a little low on transmission fluid, so did not drive it very far. Will add fluid and see if that clears it up.

Any suggestions?

Steve

LE PEW 11-27-2003 01:56 PM

No sense in trying to straighten things out until you chip it. Wait till the you get it from Mike and take it from there. The vibration might be a lean condition. Hang tight and see what the chip does for ya. :thumbsup:

Good luck, keep the updates coming. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family too!

JMC 11-27-2003 03:20 PM

Steve,

Get the code read to see what is happening. If it is running lean you need to know so you don't melt a piston.

JMC

sclime 11-27-2003 09:43 PM

Thanks guys for the advice. I will get the codes read and go from there. I will call Mike on Monday to get a status on the chip.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!
Steve

sclime 12-02-2003 08:51 AM

I got a code reader last night and got the following code for the Check Engine Light.

P1131 Lack of HO2S1 Switches -Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I looked it up and it shows it could be the forward O2 sensor on the passenger side or to check the PCV connection and vacuum lines for a leak. I don't have any clamps on the lines right now as I am still working on making brackets, so will have to try clamping all lines and check the connection of the O2 sensor, then see if I get the code again.

I also spoke with Anita at Troyer yesterday. She said my chip order went to Superchips on the 19th of Nov. so will be another week before I have it.

Anyone else have any suggestions for the code I have above?

Thanks,
Steve

JMC 12-02-2003 09:19 AM

Steve,

The code indicates that the PCM is trying to correct for an overly rich condition.

The diagnostics says to:
Check intake air system for leaks, obstructions and damage.
Check air cleaner element, air cleaner housing for blockage.
Verify integrity of the PCV system.
Check for vacuum leaks.

Once all these check out the next step is to check out the MAF. Did you get a MAF for the 5.4 or are you still using the one for your old engine?

JMC

sclime 12-02-2003 09:59 AM

JMC
Thanks for the info. I know I need to clamp all my hoses on the intake connections. I am sure there are leaks as I have one hose which is short and once I replace that with a new one, I can clamp it properly. That should clear the condition.

As for the MAF. Per my conversation with Mike Troyer, he said to stay with the original MAF and he will have the chip programmed around that. I will try check all the connections tonight and see if it changes.

Thanks,
Steve

sclime 12-05-2003 05:26 PM

Just an update.
I clamped all the vacuum lines and pvc and made the bracket for the EGR. Took it out for a drive (not the best night to do that as it was in a snowstorm). Drove about 8 miles and no check engine light. I still get a little vibration around 1000 to 1500 rpm which is right about 55-60MPH. I am guessing that is still tied to the lean condition. I should have the Superchip next week so am hopeful the performance will be much better. I can really tell the difference in torque.

I will post again when I have the chip installed and know how it runs with corrected programming.

Steve

madferraristi 12-10-2003 09:54 PM

I have an 11,000 mile, 2002, 5.4 takeout. I swapped my entire powertrain for that from a Lightning.

Engine, Trans (with mild shift kit), wiring harnesses, PCM, EVERYTHING you will need to make the conversion. It is in excellent condition. I may even throw in the driveshaft for a Supercab.

E-mail me at madferraristi@msn.com

sclime 12-12-2003 07:43 PM

Ok, so I have another update.

The check engine code P1131 was being set by the passenger side O2 sensor. I replaced both precat/front O2 sensors tonight and drove20+ miles and no code.

Talked to Jim at Superchips today about my chip. He wants me to get a dyno run on it to get the AFR at cruise and full throttle. Yipee....I found out there is a place in Des Moines - local for me - that just set up a dyno. They will do a single pull for $50 and for an hour $120. Will try to get that done next week. Mike Troyer asked me to send the info. to him and he will forward to Jim. Then I should have my chip and will know the true performance of this motor.

Will post more when I have the dyno done.

Steve

sclime 12-16-2003 06:10 PM

Had the dyno run today.

After thinking it was running lean, it was exactly the opposite. It is running extremely rich.

On the HP Pull, AFR was between 16.06 and 16.24. Max Power at 4000 was 116.9 and Max Torque at 3250 was 161.8. I also had a pull at cruise and the AFR was running about 17.00:1. It should be running more like 14.65:1. I think that explains the miss and vibration at lower rpm. I will be faxing the results to Mike Troyer tomorrow and hopefully will have a chip by next week to run.

Mike also indicated the 1998 4.6 with my PCM code is hard coded to a 4.6ci and they will have to program for the 5.4

Will update next week when I have the chip in.

Steve

rocketir 12-16-2003 06:19 PM

with AFR's in the 16's. That seems a little lean to me for a N/A engine. Shouldn't the cruise AFR be closer to 14.7? (edit oops you already said that)The lower the number the richer the ratio. ex: a AFR of 1 would be one part air one part fuel.
ps. awsome thread!
Jes

sclime 12-16-2003 07:15 PM

OK, so I'm confused. Is 17.00:1 rich or lean as compared to 14.7:1?

Steve

Nevermind! I found out it is a very LEAN condition. Won't be driving it for sure until I have the chip.

p_ferlow 12-31-2003 05:01 PM

17:1 would be lean. Stoicic is 14something:1. So yes, that's running lean.

I could be wrong but WOT should see something like 12.5-13:1, or slightly rich. But what the hell do I know... maybe ask an expert like Neal the HP freak.

Great thread BTW, learned a lot.

sclime 01-02-2004 06:26 PM

Just wanted to update you all. Since Mike is out with the flu, I am waiting on my chip. He will be doing the programming next week if he is back to work. Once I have a chance to drive it with the chip I will add to this thread.

Thanks,
Steve

LE PEW 01-02-2004 08:40 PM

:thumbsup: :lurk:

97f150f/s 01-12-2004 07:14 PM

im keeping tabs on this too. Very interesting thread going here.

That vibration does it happen when the tranny goes into OD? When was the last time you had the tranny fluid and filter changed? I know it "shudders" once it goes into od if the fluid is going bad. Could be that.

Can you give a total parts list when your done? Like besides the motor what else did you have to get?

sclime 01-14-2004 05:17 PM

I have not been driving it yet due to the extremely high AFR. Mike Troyer and I talked on Monday and I have ordered a copy of Autotap software with interface to do some data logging. Once that is done, Mike will be able to burn a chip with a base lavel to start performance tuning. The dyno facility I used here really messed up the run and I will have to have it run again when I can drive it.

As for costs, I will see what I can do for a list of what I have in it. I will also change out the trans filter and fluid. I had but in a BBK shift kit a year ago, but only put 18k miles on it since then. Would not hurt though to change the filter and fluid.

Getting closer. Just wish Mike had not been sick for 3 weeks. Oh well, good things are worth waiting for.

Steve

97f150f/s 01-15-2004 01:08 AM

keep us posted. When you read all of this sounds like its a pita, but it doesn't really seem that way.

do you have anymore pics?

sclime 01-15-2004 09:04 AM

I'll see what I can do this weekend about getting some good pics and post them to my web site.

Autotap backordered the software, so won't have it till Sat. or Mon.

Will post again next week.

Steve

iron horse 01-15-2004 11:10 PM

.....just think how easy it would be..........with all the expertise you have developed, you could very easily install an oem lightning supercharger system, since it is just a bolt on!!!! :D

sclime 01-22-2004 09:57 AM

Boy do I feel dumb right now. I finally figured out why the 5.4 has been running so rough. After data logging with Autotap I found a problem on the drivers side STFT. I found a loose fuel injector wire. Reconnected it and everything smoothed out. I data logged again, and STFT looks way better.

I drove it for the first time in 3 weeks and WOW. It will light the tires up in first and continue into 2nd until it finally gets some traction. With the old 4.6 I was lucky to break the tires loose.

I am still working with Mike Troyer to come up with a burn for my chip. I sent a new data log to him today and am going to re-run the dyno next week. I will post the results then.

When I get some free time, I will make a list of what I have done to make this project work.

Steve

svt_sc_f150 01-22-2004 04:07 PM

Congrats sclime.
Glad to hear it was just a loose wire. The tune should be pretty close now that it's firing on all 8. You might not even need to get the chip.
I guess I was right on you being much happier with the power of the 5.4 over the 4.6. Big diff huh?

sclime 01-22-2004 05:26 PM

Thanks SVT! Do you think the 4.6 PCM will correct the AFR enough to make it drivable? When I had the dyno run, the injector was loose, so I don't think the results I got were accurate.

Mike T says the PCM with my code is hard coded with the 4.6 ci displacement and they will have to compensate for that with a chip. Do you know if that is true.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

svt_sc_f150 01-22-2004 06:52 PM

You say you have the ability to datalog it. I would log it and see what the fuel trims are. The pcm has the ability to compansate for quite a bit. If you think about it, 4.6 to 5.4 really isn't that big of a jump. Just to be on the safe side, I would do a dyno pull and see how the A/F is. Personally I think you would be ok. PCM's don't know how big the engine is. They are programmed to operate within certain parameters. I don't they are programmed to different dispalcements.

97f150f/s 01-22-2004 06:52 PM

Man this is so tempting to do. I've driven my friends '01 screw with the 5.4 and that thing takes off. I can't imagine what it would feel like with all my mods to it.

sclime 01-28-2004 08:51 AM

I had a chance to talk to Mike on Monday about the data log I did. I had set another code "Engine Coolant Insufficient to go into Closed Loop". I had made a tee out of brass fittings which I had both the Gauge Sensor and the PCM Sensor installed. I was only getting 125 degrees F. I removed the tee and installed only the PCM Sensor to see if I could log data and get a higher coolant temp. I was able to log 175 - 190 degrees under driving conditions.

I drove the truck and logged data in a wide open throttle condition from 1st and into 2nd gear. I am still running on the lean side, but the PCM seems to compensate and I am not setting any codes at all. Have put 100 miles on since Monday and am having no problems. I can definately tell the difference in power and torque. I can cruise at 70 and even on some pretty steep hills, doesn't down shift out of OD.

My only problem now is I don't have a coolant temp gauge as it is disconnected. I will have to look at either tapping into the PCM and adding a digital gauge or drilling out the crossover manifold where the other sensor is located to install the gauge sensor. The 4.6 used two gauges and had two taps in the mainfold. Anyone have any options for getting a gauge hooked up?

Mike T and I are just about ready to burn a chip for a base line and once I have a couple thousand miles on it, I will hit the dyno again. I am very happy with the conversion. It was definately worth the work and research.

Steve

sclime 02-09-2004 09:19 AM

:beers:

Yipee! I got my Superchip on Saturday. Due to nasty weather, I have not had a chance to put it in yet. I will work on it tonight or tomorrow as the weather is in the 20's now. I will post some notes after I've had a chance to drive it with the chip.

On a side note, I have put about 800 miles on the new motor without the chip and have been getting around 14-15mpg. Running very smoothly and have had no codes set.

Steve

JMC 02-09-2004 09:38 AM

Steve,

If you don't mind, how much has this cost so far?

JMC

97f150f/s 02-09-2004 02:11 PM

Thats great your getting that kind of mpg with the bigger motor on the 4.6 computer. Can't wait to see what kind of results you get after the chip is put in.

97f150f/s 02-09-2004 02:16 PM

Thats great your getting that kind of mpg with the bigger motor on the 4.6 computer. Can't wait to see what kind of results you get after the chip is put in.