valvoline maxlife

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valvoline maxlife

if this stuff is so good for high mileage motors.......whywouldn't we start using it from the first day.. If it is so much richer in detergents and additives, we should use it as soon as the engine breaks in. To me what that says is.."Are normal everyday oil is insufficient, but buy our special snake oil and it will make your engine last longer" me personaly, I don't believe it. My current car has 156,000 miles (runs like a champ) , last car had 186,000 (ran like a champ). My secret recipe for success was changing the oil every 3-4000 miles.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:12 PM
Check the archives. The oil thread has been re-hashed multiple times.

Basically if you are going to change your oil every 3K miles any name brand dino oil that meets spec will work. If you go with a synthetic you can strech the interval as synthetic does not break down as quickly and can maintain its anti friction qualities for many more miles than normal dino oil.

Do the research. Make your decision on oil based on facts and the research. You will probably come to the decision that a good synthetic is the "best" way to go. I believe that you get what you pay for - I use Mobile 1 with Motercraft Filters every 5K.

Old 09-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What tsquared said!

High mileage oil has some additives that addresss the problems of high milage engines. For example it swells seals. The additives cost more, as a result the oil costs more. Why pay more for additives you don't need? If you need them and it results in reduced oil comsumption you may break even.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:12 AM
it's all just addatives! dino and synthetic alike have them and the more of them the worse. they break down before the oil does.

it is just another way to sell more stuff!

Quick Reply: valvoline maxlife