2001 Lightning Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Lightning Engine Knock

Hello, all,

My 2001 Lightning has a little over 8000 easy miles on it. Just recently I noticed a bit of an engine knock which SEEMS to be coming from the bottom end. Took it to the dealer, who confirmed the noise, but says it's "normal" and referred to a Ford Service Bulletin that says this can be a characteristic of the 1999-2003 5.4 motors.
Nonetheless, he wants me to take it back and 'see if it gets worse' (??!!). I have a few thoughts:

(1) I can't believe that Ford would claim that any engine knock/rattle is normal;
(2) Can anyone verify that this service bulletin exists?
(3) It goes against everything I ever learned as a car nut to put more miles on this vehicle to see if it gets 'worse'...and if it doesn't get worse, I'm supposed to tolerate it?
(4) Bottom line, for what I paid, I shouldn't have to worry about sounding like a hoopty.

Granted, the noise isn't that bad right now, but it is definitly noticeable, and it wasn't there when I bought the truck. I get the feeling that, at this point, they don't want to tear into the bottom end, for some reason...Should I make a case of insisting that they fix the noise, with whatever means necessary?

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could be piston slap which from what I have read and IF I am correct is somewhat common with the 5.4. You might want to post this question in the “Lightning” forum and see what other Lightning owners know about it and what they have done, if anything.

Welcome to the site, you’re going to love it, and you will find a ton of information here and more information about your Lightning in the Lightning forum. It is under Other F-Series Trucks

Quick Reply: 2001 Lightning Engine Knock