5.4L Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L Idle problem

I have a 99 5.4 L that ocassionally on start up will not idle. I can keep it idling by holding the gas pedal. After about 5 minutes it will operate normally. Anyone else experience this and know of the fix?
Thanks
David

Old 08-26-2003, 02:58 AM
check and or clean the idle air control valve on the throttle body. don't forget to lube it when you are done. sounds like it might be hung up or restricted.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:52 AM
He's right, should be your IAC valve located on the back side of the throttle body casting against the firewall/cowl area. I had the exact problem with idle about three times a week. Took the truck to Ford dealer who called back the next day and told me that I needed a MAS, IAC valve, Throttle body service and a fuel filter at the tune of 650.00. I told them not totouch my truck any further and that I was coming to get it. I cleaned the throttle body with the Ford cleaner, replaced the IAC valve and fuel filter and cleaned the MAS for $106.00 and a little of my time. It did cost me $70.00 for a"Ford finders fee". What a rip off.

Old 08-26-2003, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info. I hope to get to the IAC valve by the weekend. I only get this problem about twice a month. I'll follow up with what I find.
Thanks again

Old 08-27-2003, 01:22 PM
Too much carbon!! I cleaned mine a time or two as well as a friends. I eventually had to replace the IAC valve all together. I would also recommend a professional fuel system cleaning to de-gum and de-carbon your emissions system and have them do a foam intake cleaning. Don't do it yourself because cleaning the throttle body with a non approved cleaner will destroy the lining and you will never get the idle smooth again so let the pro's do it.

Old 08-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Finished cleaning IAC valve Wednesday. Gasket was 72 cents and some Ford cleaner I already had. IAC was very dirty. I run Red Line fuel injection cleaner about every other tank as we are stuck with the blended fuel here in Southeastern Wi.
So far so good on the idle problem.
Thanks to all!!
David

Old 08-30-2003, 12:21 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
tdleffats,

It isn't the fuel that is gumming up your IAC valve. The oil from the Crankcase via the ventilation hose on the valve cover that the IAC sucks up is doing it.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 09-01-2003, 04:44 PM
Idle problem

Hello,

I just started having the idle problem on my 2000 f150. A few questions if someone has the time. Is the ford cleaner mentioned needed or can you use a generic cleaner/ degreaser? Is the gasket needed for the cleaning step or just for the replacement of the valve?. Can you get the gasket at the parts store or do you need to go to the dealer?

Thanks for the help. This is a great board!

Gilly

Quick Reply: 5.4L Idle problem