engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine noise

Just bought my first Ford and have a simple question. (2000 F-150) Is it normal to hear a sputer noise in the engine compartment on the driver side every time I accelerate. It doesn't affect performance in any way, and its not so loud that I can't here myself think but this is my first Ford and I didn't know. When I let off the gas it gets very faint and under hard acceleration it's louder.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be an exhuast leak (not serious) OR it sounds dangerously like the notorious "blown plug" issue (very serious).

Check the plugs for tightness IMMEDIATLY if not sooner.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:49 PM
you might want to check the egr valve and plumbing for exhaust leak as well. happens from time to time.

Old 08-11-2003, 07:50 PM
I was just going to post this same question until I ran into this one. Having the same problem here. Already took it to a dealer the second day I owned it. None of the other F-150's I drive (at work) make nearly as much noise. Their response was that it was normal. The tech says the noise is the water pump. (Bearings I would prsume, since I've dealt with this in the past with other small black fords).

Either way, it'd be safe to check the above parts listed.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:13 AM
I am working on it. Been all through the posts and several hundred dollars working on detonation and that noise you are describing. My 2000 hasn't died yet. However if I am really lucky some drunk will run a red light and pay it off for me.

cheers,
tom

Old 08-12-2003, 02:19 AM
Look at collector for carbon black staining, this will indicate a collector leak.....

Old 08-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all your help. I will look into your suggestions.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tkarter
I am working on it. Been all through the posts and several hundred dollars working on detonation and that noise you are describing. My 2000 hasn't died yet. However if I am really lucky some drunk will run a red light and pay it off for me.

cheers,
tom

That's a tough fix for a little pinging their Tkarter.... If so, lets atleast hope your not in it!

b_ruppel - do you think the noise you are hearing could be predetonation/pinging? (has been described as sounding like a marble in a tin can sound or a rattling sound.) If so, fill up with a tank of 92 - if you don't hear it anymore you will atleast know the sound you are hearing is predetonation and will atleast know the issue you have to figure out.

Last edited by STX/98; 08-15-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:43 PM
I would look up to the under side of the head. I learned mine to be a head gasket on the right side of the motor. Same sound different sides.

I believe it pings and detonatate cuz it don't get nuff fuel in the leaking cylinders.

Kansas Hi Po's seem to have stopped the drunks from fixing problems like this.

tom

Old 08-24-2003, 03:41 PM
I recently bought an 01' with the 4.6 and I have noticed a similar noise from the left side of the truck. I only hear it when I am accelerating. It reminds me more of a an exhaust leak. Kind of sounds like air sputtering out from somewhere on the left side of the motor and increases in volume and is in synch with RPM's. When I get time I am sliding the creeper underneath there. I really hate it because I just had a new magnaflow put on and that noise kind of drowns the muffler. If I find anything I will let you know. In the meantime if you figure out anything please post it.

Thanks, Sean

Old 08-24-2003, 10:03 PM
my brand new '03 4.6L has the same noise...Ford says that the noise is from poor welding on my flows...so I cut 'em out and redid them myself(used to be a certified welder in my youth,Nuclear subs and power plants) and lo and behold..still there...now they say it,s expansion noise from the cats( and the mechanic said those were the most perfect weld beads he's ever saw)..yes I did check the plugs and a funny thing that was the first question they asked me"did you change your plugs?".."We get trucks in here all the time where they've changed thier plugs and didnt get the right tourge on the plugs,especially the rears and they launch the plugs"...seems theyre ready for that line

Old 08-24-2003, 10:23 PM
I believe the best in the world have trouble finding those noises. Ford don't have any different mechanics than anyone else. But they do gotta say something when they see these trucks. Noisey motors seem to be the rule for 2000 5.4's. Hence the normal verdit.

Still don't make it normal just means it hasn't really shown itself yet. Mine always sounds like an exhaust leak on top of the engine. Then get under it sounds like it is on bottom.

Is in the shop now getting the right head gasket replaced. Found that to be leaking both combustion and oil. Almost had to be some anti freeze in the mix too so maybe the pinging will stop as well when I get it back.

If the heads are as bad as I hear about launching plugs I would imagine would see launch time the first time ya got on the throttle hard after the plug got loose.

Quick Reply: engine noise