Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:50 PM
tbm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Swap

Hello Fellow Ford owners,

This is my 1st post on this board. But I have been here several times in the past to find out about problems that we have had with our 97 F150 with V-6 4.2 and 5-speed tranny. My question is: We have had this truck for 4 years and have put over 75k on it. It was used with 36k on it when we bought it, and have had very few problems with it.

But the motor is really starting to sound like a diesel when idling, so I'm wondering if a V-8 would be a easy replacement? I know that the mounts would need to be changed but would the 5-speed bolt up? Would it handle the V-8? We tow a 16 foot ski boat so that is why we would like to upgrade to the V-8. Other than the noise, the motor runs fine, and the rest of the truck is in fine shape. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks Brian

Old 07-23-2003, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tbm;
You should do a search for posts regarding the V6 to V8 engine swap. The input from those in the know is that it would be more trouble and expense than it is worth. The general thought is that it is better to sell and get another truck with the V8.

Why is your engine running so bad with only 75K on it? I would spend some time and money to figure out what is causing grief with your existing engine before replacing it. My V6 5 speed has 119,000 miles on it and still runs like new. I routinely tow 4500 lbs with it. Good luck with your problem, GlennMc.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap