lack of fuel? no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lack of fuel? no CEL

My 98 Expy has 98,000 miles. Just filled it up today after running it extremely low on gas (low fuel light on for about 25 miles). A few blocks after pulling out of the gas station it started to act like it wasn't getting fuel. It didn't die but wouldn't accelerate beyong 20 mph or so for several blocks then cleared up. The CEL never came on. If it was a dirty fuel filter would the CEL have come on after sensing a LEAN condition? I bought it with 83,000 miles and don't know when the filter was last changed, if ever.
Any special tools needed to change the filter?
Thanks.

Old 06-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Yes, you do need special tools. Most auto parts stores have them. They are usually made out of plastic.

Because the tank was nearly empty, when you refilled it all the crap resting on the bottom of the tank got stirred up and sucked up. It settles back down fairly quick. Don't know how long it would take for the computer to catch that.

Might be worth running some dry gas thru it to get rid of any water that might be in the tank.

Rob

Old 06-09-2003, 05:11 PM
That's kind of what I was hoping to hear; that it might not be something else more serious. I better get at that filter I guess. Thanks.

Quick Reply: lack of fuel? no CEL