Indications to Clean Oil-Based Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indications to Clean Oil-Based Air Filters

I know there are threads that speak of how OFTEN people clean these air filters, such as the K&N or maybe the AF1's, etc. , but I wanted to know when it is absolutely necessary to clean them?
It seems to me alot of people here clean and re-oil them earlier than the suggested cleaning intervals. My filter has been on for only 5000 miles and my filter has turned from a deep bright blue to a gray color.

1. Only when it fails the light test (no visible light through its pores)?

2. Only when the colored oil has faded?

any suggestions? thanks...

-Mike

Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be wrong to judge a filter's filtering ability on color. K&N states that although the red colored oil may fade, you should be assured that the oil is still there doing its job.

I just do a visual check at every fill-up along with checking my oil. For those that go offroading, I would assume that they clean their filter more often.

The following is taken fromK&N Engineering's site "FAQ's" (www.knengineering.com):

20. How do I know when to clean the filter?

The general rule of thumb is that the filter needs to be cleaned when the dirt build up gets as thick as the wire mesh. The usual interval is 30,000 - 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions. We recommend that you check your filter about once a year in normal usage

Last edited by mf150; 06-06-2003 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Indications to Clean Oil-Based Air Filters