update

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up update

Well, its been awhile since I last posted, but, I wanted to let y'all know about my truck. I had a problem with the TC wanting to come unlocked when my compressor was running. It was surging(or it felt like it was when it was at cruising speed. About 70-75 mph.) and my gas mileage went from about 18 to around 15. I had the tranny rebuilt and that didn't fix the problem. The mechanic then changed just about every sensor on the truck, but it still did the same thing. So, I pulled a spark plug out just to see what was going on in the engine. Ford had changed my plugs at 100,000 when I brough it in for the tune up (can you see where this is going?) The plug "looked" fine but when i checked the gap on it it was at .045, they're supposed to be gapped at .054. I put a new set of plugs in (grapped correctly), and changed the plug wires and I lit them up in 2 gears coming out of my driveway. I told the mechanic and he couldn't believe that that fixed it, but 10,000 miles later its still running strong and I'm getting almost 19 mpg. Just thought that I would post this to see if helps anyone else out there. BTW, I have a 97 f150, 4x2, 4.6 lariat, stock everything. Hope this info helps....Gerry

Ps. Sorry this is soooo long

Old 05-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ran into the same thing. When I change the plugs in my 97 they were all gapped to .045. Every source I found listed the gap at .054. Good luck with your truck. Glad you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: update