Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak

I have a 99 F150 with 4.6 liter. It has an oil leak on the back passenger side of the motor. It's bad enough that I have to put a drop pan in my garage to catch the oil. I had it to the dealer they told me it's not leaking. I use Mobil 1 in it and change oil every 10k. Should I go back to regular oil and change sooner? Anyone else heard or had this problem. I tried to read all the strings related to this but I didn't find anything or got tired of looking, alot of stuff out here on this site.

Old 05-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Dude I hope you are sitting down. Its the dreaded head gasket leak! Ive got a 2001 w/4.6 and its been to the dealer 2 times already!!! Cab lifted off the frame the 1st time and head and gasket swapped on passenger side at 11000 miles. just had it happen again at like 29000 miles. They took the engine out through the hood openeing. Look closely just above the starer where the head and block meet. you'll see it.

If someone made a better FULL size truck i'd go buy it. I got a lemon! I wrote Ford a nasty letter and complained big time. I got no where!!!! I will probably not buy another F150!!!! and this is my 3rd one so far last 2 were ok...

Old 05-28-2003, 10:17 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ae,

I have the leak. I switched to 10w30 and it doesn't leak any more. It was fixed once under warranty but it came back. The finish on the head has to be ultra smooth. If not it can dig into the gasket and tear it when the head expands and contracts. Aluminum and cast iron expand and contract at different rates. Ford has an inproved gasket but if the head is not smooth......

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 06-16-2003, 10:21 AM
Good luck to you in your oil leak problem. I had a 1999 (new XLT 4x4) that started leaking oil on the right side head at 30K miles. Three head replacements and they told me they would have to put a replacement (remanufactured) engine in at 30K miles.

They would not give me a new engine warranty (only 2 years). The local Ford regional rep offered me an extended warranty plan but it was from the original purchase date of the truck. Still only 2yr warranty.

I ended up going to Ford arbitration board and won (truck was in the shop for 6 weeks). Ford paid total purchase price plus tax, tag, interest less $0.10/mile. Took six months to complete the deal, then Ford wanted the truck immediately. Dealer told me they were going to send it to auction.

I ended up buying at 2002 in Oct. of 02. I had $3500 in Ford rebate points that I was going to lose at the end of the year. Ended up buying almost the same truck for $1000 less money. I only have 5K miles on this truck at this time.

I have not been on this site lately so I am looking to see if this problem still is happening. So far no problems but again this truck has very low miles.

I wish everyone with this oil leak problem good luck. Ford finally came through but only due to arbitration. I did have all the records and conversations, E-mails and Service calls very well documented for this long ordeal. Final outcome was equal to what the lemon laws in my state would offer.

Good luck to all.

Old 06-16-2003, 11:34 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
jkilton,

Looks like you made out OK.

JMC

Old 06-23-2003, 01:19 PM
I finally got a positive results from Ford, but only after arbitration. Ford's Corp customer service is lacking to say the least. The dealer was also not that much help with the problem. The regional Ford Rep. said Ford in the past was too eager to replace vehicles when there were problems.

Overall the outcome was positive but for the 6 months I was dealing with this problem Ford left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to their customer service and loyal customers.

I did go back and buy a ford (2002 F-150 XLT extended cab 4x4 with the 5.4) I only have 6K miles on it with no problems yet.

Thank you fro the reply.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak