Trouble Cranking

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble Cranking

On going problem. I'm having a problem with my truck not wanting to idle when I crank it up. Starts up and immediatly shuts off. This does not happen all the time. It happens every now and then. It surges bad continuously though when I'm driving at 55 to 75 mph and idles roughly at times when stopped waiting on a signal change. Check engine light came on and took it to the Ford dealership and they said it had no codes in it. They cleaned my EGR. Still doing the same crap. Everything on it is stock. I haven't replaced anything on the truck as well. My truck is a 1999 F-150, 4.6, 4x4 XLT with about 74,000 miles. Any ideas of how to fix would be appreciated.

Old 05-20-2003, 06:15 PM
I had a '99 with a 5.4L. Idling got progressively worse and mpg dropped drastically until one day, it started to buck and barely idle. As I recall, the engine light started to flash and on the way to the dealer, it stayed on. The dealer replaced the Idle Air Control and everything went back to normal.

People here have said that if the IAC is going bad, you can sometimes temporarily fix it by giving it a whack with a stick.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try and post how it turns out. I'm also going to clean my MAF and see how that works as well.

Quick Reply: Trouble Cranking