03 Expy: Oil temps and Hard use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Expy: Oil temps and Hard use?

I just got a 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition. I typically do not tow anything with the Expedition. I use to with my 98. However, I do tend to drive them in the sand (beach) 2 or 3 times per year.

I noticed the 2003 Expy's come with a nice towing package AND now have a transmission heat exchange mounted in front of the radiator. WOW!

It is my understanding that driving in deep sand can be more harsh than towing a heavy load. I feel I SHOULD be protected with the trans cooler. But what about the engine?

A. Should I just fill it with 6 qts of GOOD synthetic oil?

B. Should I consider a good engine oil cooler with a thermostat control?

These vehicles are heavy to begin with (5500) and with all the people and stuff I could be more like 6500. That kind of load on this 5.4 seems a bit much for the sand load.

I do understand that putting it in 4x4 low range would help.

Should I worry? Are all the cooling systems (water, oil, trans, steering) up to par on this SUV?

Should Amsoil or Royal Purple be used instead?

What about the heat built up in the differentials?

I have NO IDEA of this vehicles capabilities. Longevity is important. I LOVE this vehicle more than any other owned. She might be around a while!!

Old 05-17-2003, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I did a search on the web and come to realize the 2003 EB Expedition comes standard with an oil cooler.....

Where is it and what kind is it?

The filter is mounted on the block not remotely. Are there lines that go from the engine to the radiator?

confused...

Quick Reply: 03 Expy: Oil temps and Hard use?