Engine Exchange Shops

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Exchange Shops

Has anyone here every had to deal with one of the Engine Exchange francises, and if so how did it turn out?

Of course it's not for my F150 it's for the 92 GMC Jimmy with only 177,000 miles. All sched oil / filter changes every 3k to 5k right on the nose since I bought it at 50,000mi. Silly GMC products

Cbone

Old 04-08-2003, 10:05 PM
What kind of franchises are you talking about? Like checkers? The ones that give you a rebuilt engine in exchange for yours and some $?

Old 04-08-2003, 10:08 PM
What kind of franchises are you talking about? Like checkers? The ones that give you a rebuilt engine in exchange for yours and some $?
Just curious. I personally haven't dealt with any of them.

Old 04-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Hmmm, maybe it's a regional franchise? I hope it's not like "checkers" because here the checkers franchises sell burgers and fries

Basically they advertise what you have described. For about $2k, they will put in a rebuilt motor with an 18 month unlimited mileage warranty (as long as the motor you are exchanging has no damage to the block)

cbone

Old 04-10-2003, 02:37 AM
chknbone

It kind of depends on who has done the rebuild and how good the installer is. I mean wide known brands that are fair- excellant would be like Jasper, Recon, Spartan, etc. Those places are big enough and have enough $ to invest in the proper tools and prodcedures to rebuild the motor usually on the right order. You can get good local builders sometimes but it's harder to find out the reliabilty info before you start.
I would look at what types and brands of parts go into the motor. What procedures do they take to test and check to make sure everything is done right. What's the warranty and labor reimburstment policy and of course the price.

Quick Reply: Engine Exchange Shops