Oil leak (will it happen again)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak (will it happen again)

Now that I got my oil leak fixed,it does not feel like a new truck anymore.I no it was a 99 but I keep her well maintained.They tore her down,she was out for two week's while waiting for the heads too come back.The engine is is greasy and dirty from oil spray and were the mechanic had worked.I just payed it off and was hoping to keep it a few more years.I got that feeling it is going to happen again.The only good thing is that I bought that extened warranty.Is there anyone who has had it happen again.Thank's
'JOE'

Last edited by Joe Styles; 03-09-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Mine leaked at 23K miles and assured me it wouldn't leak again. Well it started leaking again at 37K miles. I asked Ford about it and they wanted big $$ to fix it and would only warranty it for 12 months. That's a crock of shiot. So I've been driving it for awhile now and decided to live with it. I've put over 8K miles on it since it started leaking agian. It's not real major. The leak is very small and never hits the ground.

Old 03-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Depends on how the leak was fixed and a hundred other variables. If the gaskets were replaced with the new revised four layer metal re-enforced head gaskets, and the heads and block were within the flateness tolerance, I have yet to hear of one going bad again. These gaskets were just released last September, so the jury is still out for the long term. I'm sure if anyone else has any additional input or experience they will soon be along. I'm really hopeful that this is indeed a permanante fix, as my 99 5.4 just went through this in January of this year.

Old 03-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Well I had both my heads replaced the 1ST time and 1 year later the head gaskets blew again. Then 8 months after that they blew again. Now they are leaking again very very slowly. I can see the oil wetness under both heads on the engine block. FORD keeps tring to tell me and everyone else that the head gaskets or the heads is the problem. It's not. The block is the problem. The deck surface is not perfectly squared. Causing the leaks. No matter how many heads or head gaskets you replace it will eventually happen again. I know quite a few guys that work at the engine assembly plant here in WINDSOR and they were all telling me that FORD had a ton of 5.4 blocks go out that had machining problems with the deck surfaces. Evan after 3 times of having the head gaskets done, both my dealers refuse to replace the engine. Now that my warrenty is gone and my truck is paid off. I 'll get it done PROPERLY this time.

Old 03-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks,the only thing to do is wait.I am still under warranty,but it still sucks.The other option I have is buy a new truck but after a problem like this I don't no if I want to take another chance on a ford.Tomorrow I am going to take the truck back and tell them to clean the engine, they left it with grease prints all over along with overspray from the leak.Thank's Again
JOE

PS..........Does anyone no were I can dig out more info on this problem.And Neil that is one awsome burnout with your truck.
Also;do you do any hunting in your area.

Old 03-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HI!... Joe Styles : Sorry, I'm a firm believer in the "SAVE BAMBIE" foundation.

Old 03-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"Bambie" tastes better with red-eye gravy, simmered ,and served over rice!

Old 03-09-2003, 07:24 PM
starting to get that bad feeling in my stomach again. getting a faint wiff of anti-freeze after driving. havent started spotting the driveway with oil again yet though.

had the head replacement done at around 38,000 if i recall properly. have 63,000 on the odometer now. looked at the anti freeze resevoir today and it looked mirky to me.

my replacement was done prior to the new 'super gasket'

not looking forward to going through this again.

Old 03-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Sorry to hear that Neil but blue oval is right it tastes better with red-eye gravy, simmered ,and served over rice!
But I respect your decision on that.
On the other hand I was trying to dig up some information on that oil leak and came across these three types of engines.
V8-330 5.4L Prop SOHC VIN Z SFI
V8-330 5.4L SOHC VIN 3 SFI
V8-330 5.4L SOHC VIN L EFI

I think the first one has propane but the other two I don't no.I found this artical over at http://alldata.com/ and it needed to no what kind of engine I have so I can look up service bullitin's.
JOE

http://alldata.com/recalls/index.html

Last edited by Joe Styles; 03-09-2003 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:40 PM
<~~~~ 1999 Lariat 5.4L 2WD

I am taking mine into the shop Monday AM for the 3rd time around. They informed me they tear down and remove the engine now, not serviced in the truck anymore. I am on my 3rd right head gasket and not sure about the left at this time. I know power steering is leaking and they are going to inspect for headgasket leakage since they may be a warped head this go around.

Showya

Old 03-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Me personally if I had to go back a second & third time would not settle for anything less than a new engine.I no it's easy to say.What I did was print out all the people who had oil leak problems like mine and gave them to the service writer.It made a difference.It's best to have both heads shaved not one of the time,I mean you can do it but it's not right.Are you still under warranty.My total was $2300.00 and it was under extened warranty.I was a little pissed that they did not clean the engine when they were done but it isn't a big deal.

'JOE'

Quick Reply: Oil leak (will it happen again)