K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N filter

hey all,
i have a question about how good K&N filters are. i have been using K&N for about 2 years now with no complaints. i have come to learn from others that have researched more than i have that K&N's are actually not as good as advertised. one of my friends in particular was saying that the filter is better than stock for the first 100 miles and then it was worse b/c of dirt buildup. also, he was saying that if you do not oil it perfectly, then the filter will be even more inefficient. i realize this is just one person, but i have been doing some research of my own and have found similar conclusions. what do you think? thanks for any input.

Old 03-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Hi Mile

Have you cleaned/reoiled yours yet?

Used K&N for almost 3yrs...I clean/reoil mine by time...dusty conditions here...seems to need it after 10 mo.

As i recall K&N says their filters, filter even better as they get dirty. So i think your friend may have been misinformed...unless for some reason after 100mi. filter got plugged? I check mine when i do oil change. Your engine will let you know if air filter is bad.

Something i did accidentally find out...was reoiling filter...shinned light inside filter while looking at outside...under a big shop magnifying glass...i noticed there were some voids in the guaze that my eye didnt see...so i used alittle more oil to cover those voids..I think that may have been due to my under oiling. Takes alittle practice...i have over oiled before I had to let filter drain on paper. That was using a squeeze bottle...i got better results with the spray can. More control for me.

A test i did...put new stock a/f in...test drove...then i switched to the dirty 10mo. old K&N...i really couldnt tell any difference. What i do know is the K&N has paid for itself long ago.

Good luck....OT

BTW...be careful...real easy to get paranoid here.

Old 03-03-2003, 09:00 AM
Have been using K&N Air Filters in both of our trucks for years, I put them in when the trucks are new (less than 200 miles). Never any problems. So far I have used them in 5 different vehicles.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:39 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Your friend is correct in saying that if it is not oiled properly it is not as efficient. That is a no brainer. I have been using K&N filters since 1988. Do they increase the power of the engine? Who knows? I personally do not care. I like the fact that they can be cleaned and reused. They last a long time and save me $$ over time. BTW on your calculations do not forget the price of the cleaning kit for any cost savings.

JMC

Old 03-04-2003, 12:05 AM
ok this is what I have found out. K&N is fine but dont over do it when It comes to cleanling it. I always wanted the pink clean fresh look to mine so I cleaned it quite often. Well after a while my truck started running like crap.......took me for ever to find the problem. Due to the over oiling I did it screwed up my mass air flow sensor. Just dont clean it too much!!! I have used paper ever since.

Old 03-04-2003, 02:29 AM
I have a K&N and have no complaints, but it is time for me to re oil it, but I think I am just going to buy an S&B filter. I "hear" they are better, plus I like the blue color they come in better than hte purplish red that the K&Ns are.

Old 03-04-2003, 03:50 AM
I've heard that you can wash out the K&N filters with simple green. I haven't done it yet myself but it sounds promising.

Quick Reply: K&N filter