just goes "click"

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just goes "click"

hello f150 brothers....my 92'pickup just goes click when i try to start it....i bought a new battery and it just went click again,i tried connecting the 2 sides of the starter relay with the key on...nothing...

Old 02-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Sounds like a typical bad starter. Get under the truck and give the starter a few hard taps with a hammer. This should temporarily fix the problem (so you can get to the parts store for a new starter.)

Old 02-08-2003, 08:25 PM
The clicking could be the bendix. The part that "shoots"out and engages the flywheel, and the lack of a whriling noise"the motor" would indicate that the motor is bad or there is a bad connection. Recheck the connections on the starter before you by a new one.

Old 02-09-2003, 11:21 AM
the older fords are famous for high resistance in the lines running to the starter causing you to think the starter is bad. so very carefully check all the wires and ground connections to the starter and relay before you buy a new starter.

Old 02-10-2003, 12:59 PM
My neighbors 91 F250 did the same thing. First make sure that the truck in all the way in park. Worked for him.

Old 02-10-2003, 02:42 PM
KT
As previously stated check the wires carefully they can corrode inside and loose contact, if not that then i would suspect the starter.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ide say the starter also.Could also be the solenoid.I had a 93XLT did the same thing;was both starter and solenoid.Good luck!

Old 02-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Hmmmm

On MY '94, The same thing happened...I tapped the upper solenoid (on the starter) with a hammer, and it started. The problem was that the wires connecting to the starter were corroded. All I did, was remove the starter, and use some Steel wool to clean the connections on the starter. Now, It starts like brand new. DO NOT buy a new starter until you've tried this aproach! After that, get some jumper cables, and attach them to the battery, and to the starter.(negative on one post, positive on another, and leave one open) Then, get a screwdriver, and touch the positive cable from the starter to the only open screw from the starter.(assuming you have the positive on one, negative on the other, and one left open) IF you do this right, the bendix should kick out and spin like mad. If not, Try changing the setup on the wires there. If STILL nothing happens, and you've tried every setup, The starter is no good. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 05-13-2003, 09:36 PM
Wink 1992 F150 XLT Just clicking when starting

I know this is crazy but someone in this thread mentioned make sure the truck is in park. Sounds simple enough but I have to agree with this simple check item. My F150 sometimes just clicks, it hadn't done it for a while but in the past I kept trying over and over and moving the steering wheel back and forth and it will start. This morning it didn't start and after taking my wife van "yuck" to work this morning I looked at it tonight and it seemed as if it was in park but I moved it out and back in and it started. I'm glad I read this post. Sounds simple and I should have checked it on my own but sometimes it just takes reading something.

Thanks