Bad motor or what??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bad motor or what??

This is what the Ford dealer did to my truck, sent heads to machine shop to resurface and recondition, reinstall cyl heads and new gaskets, replace thermostat and gasket, reassemble all related parts. torque to specs, change oil and filter, run engine fill fluids, road test ok at this time Note: vehicle may have additional engine concerns due to coolant ingestion. Now BlueOval fitter said that they took my $1700 knowing that the motor is bad.What should be my next step to this problem? go back to the dealer? sell?
Jerry
P.S/ Thanks BlueOval fitter for your input

Old 01-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Demand a new engine and they should knock off $1700.00 off the new engine price. I would also suggest to them that they install the new engine for free since they screwed up the 1ST time. If they refuse get everyone's name involved with your truck and call your local FORD rep. Then call FORD MOTOR Co. it'self and explain the situation of how this DEALER is incompatant.

Old 01-21-2003, 04:28 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Jerry,

What was written on the work order? If you complained about X, then they should have fixed X. If they did not repair X properly then they are at fault. Is it noted on the repair bill that there could be other problems?

JMC

Old 01-21-2003, 05:36 PM
We're talking about one of the 1997 4.2Ls here.

I suppose that $1700.00 to have the heads machined and gaskets replaced is what Ford dealers will charge. If the engine already suffered damage from the coolant though, Ford is very direct in there cure for this: FQR is the only solution. Ford doesn't fix knocking engines at the dealerships. You have to buy a replacement.

It should be obvious if the engine was damaged. If it's running alright and not knocking, it should be fine. If there is damage from the coolant though, they do owe you a $1700.00 refund or credit towards a new engine or vehicle. You may have to take them to court to get them to pay though.

Old 01-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks, Neal, JMC, AjRagno

For your reply you guys gave me, the first problem I had that's when I started in the morning it would run rought and white smoke came from the tailpipe and I can smell antifreeze so that's when I took it in. So far it runs alright and it does knock or anything like that. I'll guess I'll see what happens
Thanks again for your time.
Jerry

It is a 1997 F150 4.2 6cyl.

Quick Reply: Bad motor or what??