Check Engine Light on - $80 to run code???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light on - $80 to run code???

Just called my local Ford dealer because my Check Engine light has been coming on and off for the past few months... they told me it would be $80 just to hook it up and run the code, plus whatever work has to be done! Does $80 seem reasonable just to run the code?

Old 01-20-2003, 04:15 PM
There's more to it than just running codes. $80 seems high.
Our dealer charges $55, including diagnosing the cause of the code.

Old 01-20-2003, 04:15 PM
I'm pretty sure Advance Auto will pull the codes for you for free. Them just bring the codes back here and people more knowledgeable than myself will tell you what they mean.

Old 01-20-2003, 04:17 PM
$80 is a rip off

Go to auto zone they pull it for free.

Bet it's an O2 sensor, heh

Old 01-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Since you're in Broward Co. you can't run to the local Autozone and have them do it for free. Somebody filed a stop order, so you can run up to WPB or down to MIA and have it done.

Or you could pull it yourself with an OBDII scanner/software. JC Whitney, Harbor Frieght, and any number of places have them starting at 49.95 to buy . Even if you spent $100-200 for the right software or scanner, you could pull the info on your truck anytime you wanted, gratis. Of course you could make a couple of $$ on the side pulling codes for your friends.

Old 01-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Hmmm, Good excuse to buy the Superchips Tuner

I would'nt give them a FRICKIN DIME just to pull a code!!
That is puuuuuuuuuure gravy money!

Old 01-20-2003, 05:55 PM
I think AutoZone will do this for you for a minimal fee, if not, for free. If you have one locally, go in and talk with them. You may be able to buy the parts there and install yourself.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:21 PM
From experience, Yes Auto Zone will Pull the code.but they Will Tell ya its the 02 sensors.either bank one or two.now my suggestion..is to go to said store........have them pull the codes and you look at the scanner with your own eyes......even have the "tech" or kid ....read off the code to ya...memorize it and bring the code to the site.........and your code will be explained in detail...........i paid well over 200 bucks for all 4 02 sensors and all it was were the clamps on my K+N intake......after 10 minutes of tightining the clamps and checking a few other components.the light went out.after re-setting "disconnecting" the battery also.........no problems for about 2000 miles.....and i got my 200 bucks back........

Old 01-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Auto Zone is in it for the money.
Just because you get a code it does not mean the sensor is bad.
We have customers come in all the time, where Auto Zone sold them parts and the concern was never corrected.

You guys that think pulling codes is gravy, wait 'till you get an EVAP system code and everything shows good.

Old 01-20-2003, 09:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I saw the Actron Ford specific scanner at Sear Hardware for less then the $ 80.00 ( I think it was 39.95 ).
The Actron web site has it for 43.99. This is the Ford specific scanner, the multi use ones are 199.99 online, but it works on all car makes. It also does the read and clear, where I think the 39.95 is read only ( need to do the battery trick to clear a code ).

Spend the money on a decient scanner, so you have it for later.

If nothing esle, you can get the scanner from Pep Boys or AutoZone and read it yourself.

As offered earlier, post the code number here ( don't buy the O2 sensors ), and we'll all do our best to help a fellow F150online brother.

Old 01-20-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Home skillet

You guys that think pulling codes is gravy, wait 'till you get an EVAP system code and everything shows good.
This still makes no sence to me. If I go to ford with a problem, you're saying that, not only are they gonna charge to fix the problem, but they want to charge me for diagnosing the problem too??

I could see if you went in and got a diagnosis and then didnt want the repairs done there, but if you are having them do the repair work wtf? Double payments?

~ I guess its a good thing I'll never own a ford that isnt under warranty...

Old 01-20-2003, 10:40 PM
It's a double dip

I know from experience that Ford Service Dept will charge you the $80 for diagnosis and then also charge to install the diagnosed part.

I hate it when they go on expensive fishing expeditions though, know what I mean?

Make sure you have them keep the old parts for you. If they put stuff on that doesn't fix it then they can put the old OK part back on if you want them too. Otherwise they will say they threw the old parts away, heh. then you're stuck.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:47 PM
That's why I got my own OBD2 scanner. I use to go to Auto Zone, but all they could give were generic codes and they always tried to sell you a part. Now with my own that reads enhanced codes, I get better info and then do some research on the net to see what problems may cause the given code then I fix it. I only wish that mine gave me ABS and air bag codes.

- Dae

Old 01-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by bikenut
This still makes no sence to me. If I go to ford with a problem, you're saying that, not only are they gonna charge to fix the problem, but they want to charge me for diagnosing the problem too??

So you're saying I should not get paid to diagnose your problem?
What about my knowledge, tools, certifications and schooling that I have to pay for?

Not all codes are cut and dry.
guess we all could take a SWAG { scientific wild @ss guess} at what's wrong with these cars.

Old 01-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Home skillet
So you're saying I should not get paid to diagnose your problem?
What about my knowledge, tools, certifications and schooling that I have to pay for?

Not all codes are cut and dry.
guess we all could take a SWAG { scientific wild @ss guess} at what's wrong with these cars.
Hey, thats why the dealership charges so much hourly labor. Thats why the dealership costs so much more than 'Joes Garage'. Before the diagnostic port, a mechanic would figure out what was wrong with your car, let you know and then you would pay for the parts and labor to repair the problem NOT for him telling you what is wrong.

Heck, Technicians have a great tool in the diagnostic equipment, it is supposed to make it easier to track a problem, so why do they want to charge a rediculous amount JUST to tell me what the problem is?

As I said, If they diagnose and then I want to take the car elsewhere, I would expect to pay for their time and effort, but if I have them do the repairs, I dont wanna take it in the front AND rear.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light on - $80 to run code???