New Drivetrain cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Drivetrain cost

I've been saving $$ that is starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

Here's the deal. My '98 F-150 is paid for. So, rather than spend $35k for a new truck with equivalent equipment, I figured I can just do an overhaul on the engine, get a new tranny and transfer case if necessary (I don't do a hell of a lot in 4wd, so I don't think a new t-case is necessary).

I was wondering if any of you guys out there know how much an overhaul on a 4.6 and new tranny would run me. Also is it possible to put in the larger tranny like the Lightning has (4r100w?). After this was done, I want to put a pro-charger superchargeer on it and some good exhaust. If I can do this hopefully under $12k, I'll basically have a new truck. Frame and suspension are still in perfect condition.

Magnum

Old 01-18-2003, 12:21 AM
why do you think the engine needs overhauled?

Old 01-18-2003, 11:28 AM
Zyg
Re: New Drivetrain cost

Originally posted by Magnum88C
I've been saving $$ that is starting to burn a hole in my pocket.

Here's the deal. My '98 F-150 is paid for. So, rather than spend $35k for a new truck with equivalent equipment, I figured I can just do an overhaul on the engine, get a new tranny and transfer case if necessary (I don't do a hell of a lot in 4wd, so I don't think a new t-case is necessary).

I was wondering if any of you guys out there know how much an overhaul on a 4.6 and new tranny would run me. Also is it possible to put in the larger tranny like the Lightning has (4r100w?). After this was done, I want to put a pro-charger superchargeer on it and some good exhaust. If I can do this hopefully under $12k, I'll basically have a new truck. Frame and suspension are still in perfect condition.

Magnum
If you plan on blowing the truck I wouldnt consider building your engine but just buy a new one, talk to crash and skid about that you can get a nice little 4.6 for a few grand that will more than handle anything your likely to throw at it.

Old 01-18-2003, 03:54 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you are going new, get the 5.4. Why **** around with the 4.6 when the 5.4 is a stronger engine to start with??? I wish my truck would have come with the 5.4....

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 01-18-2003, 04:44 PM
Any particular reason an overhaul is called for anytime soon? I have 155,000 on my '97 and it shows no signs of needing any major work soon, and the same goes for my "new" 99 with 80,000 on the odometer.

Just trying to see if an overhaul would be in the cards for some reason.

Old 01-19-2003, 07:48 PM
here is a link to a new engine:
new engine link

Old 01-19-2003, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does it cost to have a 4.6 or 5.4 engine overhauled for those of us that would prefer to hold on to the engine we have? Anyone out there had there's rebuilt?

Old 01-20-2003, 12:57 AM
I'm wondering, how often do people have these engines rebuilt? How long do they last? Other than piston slap and bad gaskets, I don't remember ever reading about one that just "wore out"... anybody out there ever just plain work a modular v8 to death?

Old 01-20-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by JMC
If you are going new, get the 5.4. Why **** around with the 4.6 when the 5.4 is a stronger engine to start with??? I wish my truck would have come with the 5.4....

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
What the..........in the back of my mind I have wondered about that very thing. If your F-150 is set up for a 4.6, is it possible to put a 5.4 (lightning) LONG BLOCK in it in the form of an ordinary engine swap

We all know, that trying to put a Lighting engine WITH the supercharger set up requires MAJOR mods with wiring, computer, other drivetrain componets, but what if........

YOu just want to install a Lightning LONG BLOCK where a 4.6 sat.....would that require other major (costly) mods

(true, I have a Magnacharger on my 4.6, so I guess I would at least have to get the Magna manifold that would bolt up to my eaton M90 and the Lightning heads)

Come on JMC, your answer will affect my truck destiny! hehe

Old 01-20-2003, 10:28 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes! Yes! Yes! You could do it!

You will need the 5.4 manifold and a chip to control the extra fuel that the 5.4 will require. On 97-99 4.6 trucks you will have to switch over from COP (Coil on Plug) ignition to the 8 plug 4 coil pack system. If you choose to use the L block don't forget that the CR is lower because of the deeper dished pistons. This will affect N/A trucks.

JMC

Old 01-20-2003, 11:04 AM
Alright JMC!

I have got to research this!!!!!!! (the rearend swap just got moved back!) I found a source for new Late model Lightning long blocks that is very cheap. The entire long block was cheaper than an entire forged internal kit for a 4.6 or 5.4!

It appears that the Lightning has all forged internals (crank, pistons and rods), therefore, I need to see what is the engine rated to handle as to hp and tq.

Thanks again for the effort JMC!

Old 01-30-2003, 05:30 AM
Basically, the overhaul question is because most supercharger companies recommend a rebuild for any engine with more than 50k if you're going to blow it.

Also wondering about the tranny, it might need rebuilding/replacement to handle the HP and TQ gains.

Magnum

Quick Reply: New Drivetrain cost