What mods won't void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What mods won't void warranty?

Hey,
I was wondering what mods could be made to a 5.4 without voiding the warranty? I heard from someone that you really can't do anything, but i feel there has to be some things. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2003, 10:51 PM
No mod "voids" the warranty. You can put anything you want on there. If a mod causes a failure then warranty coverage for that failure can be denied. I think the more stuff you have the more likely you are to run into a hassle. I haven't been denied warranty coverage yet.

Do you have a good relationship with the service dept? If you do you might be able to talk to them. If you don't you might want to llok for a different service dept.

From what I've heard things like air intakes and exhausts are usually ok.

What do you want to do?

Old 01-16-2003, 11:01 PM
Well, im just thinking about trading trucks with my mom, and she has 2wd super cab with the 5.4. And i want to lift it and put some 33s with 18in rims on there. Im probably going to put 4.10 gears on it. But, i want to make it quicker. I was thinking exhaust, air intake, chip. I'll probably think of more things later. Oh, and i know the lift and gears will void the suspension and rear end. But, im mostly worried about the engine.

Old 01-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Whoops, double post. oh well.

Last edited by offroadmaniac; 01-16-2003 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on your service manager.
Mine told me I voided my warrenty as soon as I removed my "4x4" decals, LOL

Even though he's kidding, I kind of believe him!

Old 01-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like was said above. The part that you replace is no longer covered, but if you add an aftermarket exhaust and the power window motor goes out, you are still covered for that. They can't deny you your 'entire' warranty because you put on an aftermarket exhaust.

Now, you start cutting into the cats, Y pipe and the like, and you end up burning a valve or a piston, they could deny you that.

Chips seem to be a bit more sensitive too. Since it changes the computer and the computer runs 'everything'. I've heard most guys take theirs out and put the stock one back in before taking it in to the dealer for warranty work. Some do the same thing with their intake as well, but it really depends on the dealer. Some are hard and some are easy.

Old 01-17-2003, 01:41 PM
You would want to pull the chip before bringing the truck in for any kind of service. If they try to connect their computer to your EEC they will get "misinformation". It only takes a minute to unplug, so I would highly recommend it.

Quick Reply: What mods won't void warranty?