How do i drain the Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do i drain the Radiator?

I got a coolflex radiator hose for christas, and i need to drain the radiator so i can install it without taking a bath in antifreeze

does anybody know whats the best/easiest way to do this? i've never done it before so any info is appreciated. Also like how much fluid is in there so i know how big of a bucket to use.

some guys told me there shouldn't be any fluid in the upper hose when the truck's off, others have told me there is, so i dunno what to do.

here's a pic of it can't wait to install it!

Thanks for any help. Happy holidays!!!

Old 12-25-2002, 06:59 PM
i just had the raidiator expericace last weekend. On the bottom passenger side of your radiator side, there is a little yellow plastic plug called the pet**** or drain****. Its easier to access if you cut your wheels all the way to the right and work from the other side of the wheel its right behind the inner fender. With an allen wrench, carefully loosen it so that the fluid streams straight down at not all over your wheels, etc-just right into a big bucket. AFter 5-10 mins of draining, gently squeeze your hoses to provide a little force so that the fluid comes out of the hoses. WHen the drainig has stopped, just screw the pet**** back in BUT DO NOT TIGHTEN IT WITH A WRENCH!! I did that and broke it off and had a hellova time gettin it out and a new one in! Remove hoses, replace iwht new ones, and fill raidiator til full.
Did i miss anything?

Old 12-25-2002, 07:08 PM
sounds easy enough. how big of a bucket did you use? like how many gallons do you thinks in there? might have fun trying to get anything bigger than a 2 gallon bucket under my truck

Old 12-26-2002, 12:15 PM
If your only going to replace your upper radiator hose, don't drain the whole radiator. Just get the level below the hose.
Jes

Old 12-27-2002, 05:04 PM
just get a big drain pan for 5 bucks.....it's really easy Josh i've done it a couple times...

Old 12-27-2002, 06:03 PM
aight i might tackle this tomorrow. spent the last 2 days hooking up my neon. pics in the HD forum

here's the link
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=101133

Last edited by Harley#356; 12-27-2002 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:50 PM
got the coolflex radiator hose on. draining the radiator was pretty easy. i just filled two 3 liter soda bottles and it was enough to take the hose off and there be no antifreeze in the hose still

pics are up!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=70

Quick Reply: How do i drain the Radiator?