Under Pulleys for 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Under Pulleys for 4.6

I am looking at getting a set of ASP under drive pulleys for my 4.6. How difficult are pulleys to install and can the job be done without special tools? Any special requirements I should know if I do the job myself? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-22-2002, 02:38 AM
Thet aren't all that hard to install if you have the special tools, but if you do it without them it will take forever. Since you would be playing with the harmonic balancer you should atleast make sure you have a torque wrench. If you have one then you can do it on your own, but having a pulley remover helps a lot in my opinion and it will save you a lot of time. I don't think I would have wanted to do the pulley swap without the special tools.

Old 12-22-2002, 10:18 PM
I Laugh,

Thanks for the reply. Looks as if you have done a lot to increase HP. In your opinion, is change out the pulleys worth it? I am torn between installing a cat-back muffler system or installing pulleys frist, but I want to gain at least 30 HP by adding different mods frist before installing a chip.

Any advice?

Old 12-22-2002, 10:40 PM
Doing the pulley swap is completely worth it, but the installation can be quite difficult without certain tools. I would suggest going with a cat-back system first, but don't overlook doing the pulley swap all together. It is a very good mod that frees up a good amount of HP and torque and also increases your MPG.

Have you picked out a cat-back system yet? I have heard a lot of good things about the Magna Flow systems lately and you might want to check them out. They aren't big on sound like a FlowMaster system, but they offer a significantly higher HP and Torque increase at all powerbands. Personally, I have a Gibson system and I like it a lot. It has just the right sound, gave me an increase in power and MPG, and was easy to install. If you want a loud exhaust note then try FlowMaster, but if you want a bigger power increase try Magna Flow or Gibson in my opinion.

Old 12-22-2002, 10:50 PM
I was lending towards the Borla cat-back system before reading some of the old posts here and like you, noticed a lot of praise for the magna flow system. I am not overly concerned about sound vs. added power. Sounds as if the magna flow is the best option for me. I was looking solely at Borla because I wanted a stainless steel system.

Old 12-23-2002, 12:09 PM
crain

I have a 98 with the 4.6. I have installed ASP and Borla catback as well as other mods.

ASP: I would do pulleys first as they are cheaper, but it really doesn't matter. You need a three point puller to get original crank pulley off. You also need torque wrench for new pulley. ASP pulleys are good stuff -- about 12 hp all the time every time and better throttle response.

Borla catback: both Borla and Magna Flow use the good T-304 stainless steel. You buy one of those and you won't ever need another one. I thought the Borla fit was excellent. Borla catback will NOT give you big sound as say Flowmaster does. My own opinion is you won't go wrong if you get either brand. I plan to install a Magnaflow on my wife's Explorer here soon - partly so I can compare the two systems.

Old 12-23-2002, 01:45 PM
Crain,

Just as a FYI, Gibson also makes a stainless system. Not the finish that the Borla has, but it is stainless and has if I remember correctly a lifetime (of the owner/Vehicle) warranty.

I've got underdrives on my '95 and as inexpensive as they are, it's a great bang for the buck.

Old 12-23-2002, 04:48 PM
All,

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to install the cat-back and pulleys within the next month or so. I value your input.

Old 12-24-2002, 02:46 PM
belts for pulleys

I forgot to ask, can I use the factory belts for ASP Pulleys or will I have to get new ones?

Old 12-25-2002, 09:14 AM
stock size 8 rib belt.... if they are mustang pulleys you change to a 6 rib....

Old 03-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Underdrive pullys

Peddler1000 you said to liave the e=mail addy well here it is Bud4mikeie@aol.com I also have a 4.6 1998 F150 Nascar edition and I want to goto the pullys and electric fans what do you suggest????? please help

Old 03-20-2003, 05:02 PM
The ASP pulleys are a great mod, freeing up a lot of power, but I'd recommend using air tools to save some time. You also need a tool to release the tension from the belt tensioner. Stay with ASP, for otherwise you will have the posibility of charging issues. Plus, with ASP you will retain your 8-rib truck belt...while you at it get the Gatorback belt, so that when you get a chip your belt won't slip. I'd get the exhaust and intake first...Magnaflow seems to be the favorite here online. K&N gets bashed, but it is one of the best systems (FIPK). After those mods, get the chip and pulleys, fans and headers. Just have fun and enjoy each mod. As for 30 horses....well, Maybe at the flywheel!

Just have fun! And good luck!

Old 03-20-2003, 05:35 PM
I guess you made out well with the ASP'S huh ?

Old 03-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Roush~

Yeah, I ended up with the ASP's and love them! What a pickup difference. Troyer disuaded me from going with a three piece set... so I decided on the two piece. Good Mod!!! Now for the Headers!

Old 03-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Borla

Originally posted by I Laugh
Doing the pulley swap is completely worth it, but the installation can be quite difficult without certain tools. I would suggest going with a cat-back system first, but don't overlook doing the pulley swap all together. It is a very good mod that frees up a good amount of HP and torque and also increases your MPG.

Have you picked out a cat-back system yet? I have heard a lot of good things about the Magna Flow systems lately and you might want to check them out. They aren't big on sound like a FlowMaster system, but they offer a significantly higher HP and Torque increase at all powerbands. Personally, I have a Gibson system and I like it a lot. It has just the right sound, gave me an increase in power and MPG, and was easy to install. If you want a loud exhaust note then try FlowMaster, but if you want a bigger power increase try Magna Flow or Gibson in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Under Pulleys for 4.6