How to tell if my motor has been changed

Old 09-25-2002, 06:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How to tell if my motor has been changed

I have a 97 F150 with the 4.2V6,77,000 miles. How can i verify it is the original engine? Any numbers to look for?

Old 09-25-2002, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call your local Ford dealer and ask for the OASIS report.

Considering that it's nearly impossible to get a hold of a 4.2L from anyone but Ford dealer, it would likely have been replaced at one.

Do you have any reason to believe you were lucky enough to have had it replaced???

You could also post the same question at www.flatratetech.com along with your VIN and they'll tell you.

Old 09-26-2002, 12:02 PM
If it was replaced with a Ford engine there will be a tag at the drivers side lower engine block that gives the date and facility. Also they put a sticker on the valve cover that says something like Quality Recycled or something like that.

If Ford did the work it will be on the OASIS system yes.

If it was not a Ford engine then its a little more tricky. If Ford did not do the replacement then it wouldn't be on thier system.

I don't know if they have casting numbers that tell you specifically when the engine was produced. I never had the need to figure that out. I suppose there is somewhere on the engine.

Do you suspect you have a new engine?

AJRagno if you want an engine let me know, I'll sell you a brand new rebuilt one. I'll even do a lifetime warranty if you'd like.

Old 09-26-2002, 07:02 PM
The reason i ask is 1st,its a 97 and ive heard alot of horror stories about this motor.I did have an oasis done about a month ago and Ford said the previous owner followed up on 6 recalls including the infamous timing cover leak.2nd,it runs too darn good to even tie it to the bad 97 batch Anyway,i hope to keep it for awhile,and was just curious to know if there are tell tale signs of a motor change.I did look on the valve cover and it has lots of numbers and says WINDSOR??????

Old 09-26-2002, 09:30 PM
This engine isn't going to run badly because its a 97. Heck they make pretty good power. The problems they had has nothing to do with the power they make. If the recall was done then you have one less thing to worry about and I doubt it was ever changed if the recall was performed.

No reason to.

Old 09-26-2002, 11:12 PM
Ok,now,when can i expect the head gaskets to fail?Or is this a matter i dont have to worry about?Can you where i am going here? Its the stories about this motor i am thinking about!!

Old 09-27-2002, 03:47 AM
For every horror story you hear 10 "love it" stories.

Drive it, take care of it and don't worry about it.

OR

Buy an extended warranty for $1000 and know its covered.

Old 09-27-2002, 03:50 PM
Angry

You can count on your engine blowing a head gasket! HOpfully you bought the extended warrenty. If not and its the original engine, you have a ticking time bomb on your hands. Mine was a good engine until 77400.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to tell if my motor has been changed