Sparkplug Wires ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sparkplug Wires ?

I was just about to do a full tune up to my 4.2. But I don't want
to replace my sparkplug wires with the inexpensive ones @ the parts stores.Anyone know if FMS, MSD or ACCEL make them for our engines ?And which ones works best. And how much are they more or less. Also my engine has 85,000miles on it would upgrading to synthetic oil or synthetic blend help it? Thank You In Advance

Old 07-12-2002, 12:20 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
synthetic wouldn't hurt... but as long as your puttin in new oil every 3k you won't have any problems.

just goto a ford parts department and buy OEM wires... and replace them every 25k. best wires IMHO.

Old 07-12-2002, 02:46 AM
Taylor makes them for the 4.2. I have them and they seem to work pretty well. Don't expect anything huge out of high performance spark plug wires though, after all they are just wires. I got mine for about $50, I know truckperformance.com sells them.

Old 07-12-2002, 05:48 PM
I agree with Talley-

Change your oil and filter every 3k with a good quality oil (I prefer Castrol, but most of the other major brands are very good, too) and a Motorcraft filter, and you should be fine for a long, long time.

I also agree that O.E. wires are are tough to beat.
(our ignition systems were engineered to use those wires. . . . . .they are your best bet).

Hope this info helps. . .

--WrongdayJ

Old 07-15-2002, 06:24 AM
I've been using the motorcraft 5-20 oil, mainly because it's a synthetic blend, and cost effective. I have been running the K$N oil filter to go with it.

I've been thinking it's almost time for plugs and wires, I'm at 23K miles. I drive with a lead foot and have some soot around the tailpipe, I haven't had the plugs out yet.

I think the biggest detriment to performance at the moment is the stock exhaust leaks, and the factory y pipe.

Mitch

Old 08-26-2002, 01:17 PM
O'Reilly's Auto parts here in Houston sells the Motorcraft ignition wires for my 1996 F-150 for $39. I checked with the dealer: twice that

Quick Reply: Sparkplug Wires ?