Choosing Mods ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Choosing Mods ?

I just got my 98 F150 XL 4.2L Regular Cab and wanted to know what mods would help me out the most and where can i buy them from.I was thinking of getting a shift kit and stall converter but don't know who sells them. My only mod is 3.73 gears so far. Also where can i get a 4 bank chip from Diablo do they come ready to install or you need to program them first ?Would a true dual exhaust with out 2 of the cat converters hurt the computer anyway cause of bypassing of the 2 first converters? I also would like to know how much a nitrous kit for this truck runs for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Old 07-11-2002, 04:36 AM
I think most of the dealers have the 4 bank chips now. Just ask them and make sure they aren't selling you the old 2 bank chip. Yes, they do come ready to install, you just give your dealer your ECU code and they program it for you. As for true duals on the 4.2, I don't recomend it. Unless your running small diameter piping, your going to lose the exhaust velocity and see little to no gains. In most cases I hear that people talk about losing power with the dual set up. Most of the power loss is torque and that is because the loss in exhaust velocity. But if sound is what your looking for, the dual set up is a good way to go. As for Nitrous, talk to Talleywacker. But if you have stock internal I strongly recomend that you don't use it. You probaly can get away with running a 50 shot or so, but much more than that and you will wish you didn't.

Old 07-11-2002, 04:32 PM
Thanks Falcon for replying. What dealer would you recommend to get my 4 bank chip. whats the price on them? I've heard$199 + shipping is that about right? And about the nitrous i wasn't planning on pushing it more then 75 shot cause like you said my internals are still bone stock. Would you happen to know where i can get a Mac Cold Air Kit i've beening looking i just can't seem to find it? Thanks Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-12-2002, 12:24 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
You only need a 4 bank chip if the chip manufactures call for it. sometimes ford locks down certain variables so hard that the only way to crack them is with a 4 bank chip. IF your particular ECU code doesn't call for it from diablochips then they will send you the normal 2 bank chip.

It's only needed on some vehicles so don't spread the word that it is a better gain. there both the same... just some ecu's require 4 bank chip to crack certain vairables.

Old 07-12-2002, 02:30 AM
Actually Talley I talked to DiabloSport myself and the words out of the guy I spoke with mouth were; "that the new 4 bank chips are better than the 2 bank chips." The reason being, they can program different things that they aren't able to do with the 2 bank chips. The 4 bank chips are more powerful chips that take more control of the ECU. And yes, they also allow them to program variables that they couldn't with the 2 bank chips. So now the tuner has the ability to change variables that he couldn't before with the 2 bank chip. So actually the 4 bank chips are better than the 2 bank chips because the programer has the ability to change variables that he couldn't before with the 2 bank chip, leading to a better performance gain. And you do not need a 4 bank chip only if the manufacture calls for it. Most dealers only sell the 4 bank chips now. And you can call them up and they will tell you they are better than the old 2 bank chips because they are more powerful and give the tuner more options. Perfromance wise they may be the same, but I was told with the 4 bank chip the tuner can "touch" things he never could before with the 2 bank chip. Giving the tuner the ability to better program the air/fuel ratio, timing curve, shift points, etc. So better I would say yes. And I know for sure my dealer only sells 4 bank chips because I got his firt shipment of 4 bankers after he sent all of his 2 bank chips back to Diablo.

Old 07-12-2002, 02:39 AM
CherryBomb, I say shop around for the best price. Sometimes dealers have sales and you can get them for even cheaper than $199. Just surf the web and find the best price, that's the way I did it. As for the Mac intake, ask TalleyWacker. He has Mac and he knows his stuff. I have Volant so I couldn't really help ya there.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Thanks Falcon and Talley for replying. I just got a deal on a used NX nitrous system so thats on its way. Talley where can i get the MAC Cold Air Intake ?Falcon i saw you had a auto tranny do you know if they make stalls and shift kits for our V6's? I found a TransGo shift kit on summit but i don't if our tranny's is the E40D?
I'm gonna shop around for the diablochip to see which one be for my soon to be nitrousV6. Let me know what you guys think. Any help is going to be appreciated thank you.

Trending Topics

Old 07-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Falcon 11...

You are exactly right. However I've discussed this same exact subject with my tuner Pete Cambell and with our trucks it offers nothing as for performance gain. On the mustang they have a few other options... nothing performance wise. one of them being a full control of the electic fan.

But not to mistaken, that is exactly right what you said. and more than likely you will get a 4 bank chip and this is what Pete sells.

As for the mac... it's the best bang for the buck IMHO. The volant is a very good intake but it's not really worth it for the price. IF the volant was a little cheaper i'd go with them. I still like the chrome tubing that comes with the mac.

Old 07-13-2002, 04:05 AM
Thanks Talley.....Hey I've never seen the mac system. When I was shopping for a intake system I guess they weren't really popular back then. Have you seen Volant on for the 4.2 Talley? I've noticed it is a lot larger in diameter than most systems I've seen. What do you think? Shoot I barely fit it in my engine compartment because of the spacer. That is one bid *** tube! Not to mention filter, it is right up against my coolant tank. I'll be taking the spacer out soon to see if theres any difference with it out after the port/polishing. I'll be sure to let you know Talley.

Old 07-13-2002, 04:13 AM
Cherry, I know they make shift kits for the 4.2 because I've seen people with them. Again ask Talley, I'm sure he may know of a good place to get that kind of stuff from. I don't have a kit but I would like to get one. I'm in College so as you may have guessed money is kind of tight. Plus I'm going to start throwing it in the bank because I want a Gen. 3 L!!! But that's not untill I get out of College and can get a full time job so I can start making those $600 a month payments.

Old 07-13-2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks again Falcon and Talley. I found a place for the Mac Cold Air. The trans our truck's have are <b>4R70W</b> and TransGo makes kits for them for 99.99. Can you tell me where you got your Diablo Chip for 199.95 cause the cheaps i've found it is 215.00. I know what you mean about being in college i'm attending college also I have a college budget . Let me know about the chip Falcon. Thank You

Old 07-14-2002, 01:44 AM
Stock superchip = 20bhp and 16btq $235
stock diablochip = same $215
Fordchip (custom diablo) = 28bhp and 23btq $275

Custom chips are soo much better.

Old 07-14-2002, 03:43 PM
Unhappy Can't get a Diablo?

I just called to order a Diablo 4 bank chip but they said that Diablo does not make a chip for my comp. (code JNY2)
has anyone had this problem?
Superchip does however. How does the superchip compare to the Diablo ? Or is their yet another brand I sould go for?
Thanks.

Old 07-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Cherry, I got mine from Garrett Machine. Go to their web site at GarrettMachine.com and get their number. Ask for Chris, he was my dealer but he said he was getting out of the chip selling business. So check and see if he's still the tuner for their chips. Don't know what they sell them for now, but when I got mine it was $199.

Nate, Call up Diablo and talk to one of their head tuners if you haven't already. They may need you to send in your ECU so they can read it. It may be that you have one of the codes that require jumpers to be soldered in. At the very least they should beable to read your ECU and create a program for it. That is if it isn't a jumpers issue.
The 2 chips are very similar so either one would be a good choice. But these are the 2 best for the 4.2, at least that I know of.

Old 07-15-2002, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Talleywacker
Stock superchip = 20bhp and 16btq $235
stock diablochip = same $215
Fordchip (custom diablo) = 28bhp and 23btq $275

Custom chips are soo much better.
Talley,

Where can one find a custom chip? I've got a superchip now, but will likely have to have it programmed when I get headers. Fortunately my buddy has the same comp code, but no chip, so I'll easily peddle my superchip to him if necessary.

Thanks,

Mitch

Quick Reply: Choosing Mods ?