Lost to rice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lost to rice...

Well, it's true, I lost to a dropped civic last night. I guess in my own defense I'll go into a bit more detail.

I was driving home when a civic tried to pass me, I accelerated to block him and we happened to be next to each other at the next light. We nodded to each other, and it was on. The light went green and we both laid some rubber. Unfortunately I got a bit excited and dumped the clutch at about 4000 rpm. I spun hard til he got about a length ahead of me, then I started to hook up. Once it hooked up I stayed the same length and a half behind him til I shifted into third, where I lost another half a length. At 80 mph I was 2 lengths behind.

The civic was one of the more tricked out ones I've seen in my area, there is definately some serious $$$ dumped into it. I'm not sure what's under the hood, but if I run into the guy I'll ask. I figure if I'd gotten a good hole shot it would've been very close. I guess it's time to drop the money on that limited slip with some extra clutch packs.

He's probably telling his buddies he smoked a lightning, since I've got the PIAA airdam and lightning grille, but I'll be sure to remind him it's only a V6 when I see him.

Mitch

Old 06-19-2002, 01:19 PM
Not to flame, but exactly what did you expect? Both vehicles with 6 cylinder engines, you have about 2000 to 2500 pounds more that he did. Based on your signature, you haven't done anything to make you engine any more than a stock ford 6 cylinder?

Old 06-19-2002, 01:51 PM
BroncoAZ-

It's times like these that are the most motivational for me.

If I lose to a ricer, then I go buy a mod.

Then I go find the ricer, and dust him.

So looks like it's ricer hunting season down in Tuscon, right?!

Your only question should be :

Should I buy a blower, a turbo, or Nitrous.
(easy as Blonde, Brunette, or Red head)

Later,

Old 06-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Not to flame, but exactly what did you expect? Both vehicles with 6 cylinder engines, you have about 2000 to 2500 pounds more that he did. Based on your signature, you haven't done anything to make you engine any more than a stock ford 6 cylinder?

Larry,

I believe the civic is a 4 banger, and maxes out around 200 hp with mods. My V6 truck is pretty quick, and I can usually take the rice cars no problem.

Mitch

Old 06-19-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by WrongdayJ
BroncoAZ-

It's times like these that are the most motivational for me.

If I lose to a ricer, then I go buy a mod.

Then I go find the ricer, and dust him.

So looks like it's ricer hunting season down in Tuscon, right?!

Your only question should be :

Should I buy a blower, a turbo, or Nitrous.
(easy as Blonde, Brunette, or Red head)

Later,
It's always ricer hunting season here, it's the local past time. As far as buying expensive mods goes, after graduating NAU with debt, and having bought a set of MT/R tires for the Bronco last week, I'm on a limited budget. I'll work on getting a limited slip, as I think I could run head to head with this guy if I'd gotten a good launch.

Mitch

Old 06-19-2002, 02:50 PM
I know how ya feel, I can't stand ricers. They are everywhere in my area. I've had a chance to race a few and have beaten most of them. One time I raced a totally fixed up civic from 1 light to the other, he beat me off the line by about 2 car lengths but after we hit about 50mph I was starting to catch him. Then the light turned red and we ran out of room. I looked at the side of his car and it was full of performance stickers. He rolled down his window and I told him to race a further distance this time and see what happens. He told me nice truck and asked me what was in it, I told him just a V-6. He knew that I would blow buy him in the higher speeds so when the light turned green he didn't try and race again. My only suggestion when racing ricers with our trucks, is don't try to race any S2K's. I tryed that a few weeks ago and it turned out how I expected it too. But I was surprised, I caught up to him off the line and at about 70 we were about even then he slowly started to pull away and beat me. Oh well, these trucks are slow. It takes a good amount of mods just to make them respectable.

'99 auto. 4.2L F-150
-Volant intake
-Poweraid TB spacer
-Taylor high performance spark plug wires
-Diablo 4 bank Chip
-Gibson exhaust

Old 06-19-2002, 04:55 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
I wouldn't mind taking a stock S2000. I think I could... they are only low 14's. At least be dead even with him.

dammit... it's raining. I hop it doesn't rain friday. Track times FINALLY on nitrous.

Trending Topics

Old 06-19-2002, 05:09 PM
Hope you plan on spraying that s2000. I ran one on the Beltway several times when I had my mustang. He said he ran 14 flat and it was stock. I believe him. I beat him pretty good from stops and rolls, but he was pretty quick none the less.

I just hate those high revving 4cylinders. Sounds like they want to break when you get on them. You have to rap them out high to get a good launch, and he did pretty good to my suprise.

-Brian

Old 06-19-2002, 05:39 PM
I hate ricers too. But don't be scared of the S2000 (or any other ricer for that matter) You have V-6 motors and you're in trucks!!! Tell you what... they hate to see me coming anyway, so I'll blow there doors off for you until you get that thing fixed up right. You have to love the good 'ole Lightning! Mod, mod, mod, mod! That's all I have to say! Good luck hunting brother.

Old 06-19-2002, 08:42 PM
Yeah blow them away for me! I hate them, I love Ford's and a Lightning will be my next truck. I think I'll stop with the mods and put the money in savings...Hopefully I'll be able to get a 2004 or 2005 L when they come out with the next generation. I sure hope they keep a similar body design though. But most of all, the next generation L's should be even faster!

Old 06-20-2002, 11:51 AM
ricers suck, but some civics are fast.

before the truck, i had a totally stock 102 hp civic hatcback (note: the civic was stock - i was not a ricer). it only weighed 2178 pounds, and i used to race a guy that i worked with who had a reg. cab longbed v6 f-150 5-spd, and my civic would beat him pretty good everytime.

i dont think he could drive very well, but i was able to put a couple of lengths on him up to about 60 everytime... with half the power of his v6 (and half the weight too).

i think the civics have an advantage of much smaller tires/wheels and no driveshaft, which greatly reduces the rotating mass and therefore reduces the amount of drivetrain loss; my civic had something like 4.06 gears stock (of couse the tires were tiny, but it was still geared way higher than my truck)

also you can shift those civics in no time at all, so theres another advantage over the trucks.

anyway, please dont flame me for being a ricer, i love my truck alot more than my old honda, i'm just offering some reasons why the civic might have gotten you...

Old 06-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Woah! What's up with all the hostility against imports? Not every import is riced out. If you think about it, a lot of imports are no different then you guys when you get right down to it.

A V6 F150 isn't the ideal platform for modding and the same goes for a 4cyl SOHC Civic, Accord, etc...

Most of us mod because we ENJOY it, the never ending pursuit for improvement. We are never happy with our current state and are always looking for that extra "something" to do that will help our car or truck accelerate faster, handle better, or stop quicker.

I can't tell you how many times I've been laughed at when I go the track out in Eunice, LA and all the "Good Ol' Boys" start pointing and laughing.

What's more satisfying, to buy a V8 F150, or buy a 4.2L V6 F150 make it faster and beat a 4.6L or 5.4L F150? I enjoy being the under dog. People underestimate your vehicles potential which in the end gives you the advantage. Is it easier or cheaper? Hell no! But its a lot more satisfying!

In my own experiences I tend to disagree with some of the people thinking about an F150 having an advantage in a 80+mph race. At higher speeds the drag coefficient on the F150 is going to far outweight the HP advantage you have over a smaller car like a Civic. Also for people that do run 14's, look at their trap speeds compared to most cars. My friends V6 Accord only runs a 15.17 at 92mph but I've seen guys here run mid 14's at only 94-95mph.

I've never had the opportunity to race a 5spd F150 but the 4.2L and 4.6L Auto's (I'm assuming I've never raced a 5.4L yet since I don't know how to tell the difference b/w a 4.6L and a 5.4L rear end) I've raced so far, they always get the jump off the line (massive torque advantage) by about 1/2 to 1 car length but typically by the end of 1st gear (30-40mph) I'm pulling even and in 2nd gear (40-70) I normally pull 1.5-2 car lengths. From what I understand there was one year where the V8 F150's did NOT have the V8 Triton badge on the side?

I respect any car/truck enthusiast that spends their time and money improving their ride. What you happen to be fixing up shouldn't matter. I'm always down for a friendly race so if anyone lives in or around Lafayette, LA give me a shout and we can have a friendly go at it.

Old 06-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Some very good points 3.0L V-6, it's nice to see someone who owns a import to come in and share their opinions without trying to start fights. I think most of know not every import is riced out. It's just that most of us can't stand the ones that are. Personally in my opinion it's the sound that gets me. I can't stand the sound of that high pitched weed wacker sounding exhaust. But of course that is just my opinion, I know some like it. They really bother me because in my area their are way too many of them. Also the majority of the people who drive them are idiots who know nothing about performance. Just because you buy a civic, accord, prelude, etc., and throw a loud muffler and a wing on it doesn't mean it's a race car. That to me just seems to be the mentality of the people who drive ricers. just my 2 cents.

Old 06-26-2002, 04:43 AM
3.0LV6,

I am not hostile towards import cars. We were recently in the market for a 2002 Civic EX 2 door for the girlfriend. I do think that some of the trends in the import market don't make a whole lot of sense, but that's my personal opinion. I think my issue with the "ricer" crowd is mainly image. Many of the mods they do are strictly for looks, not for performance. The local highschool kids here have daddy's credit card to add wings, lame mufflers, and carbon fiber (or worse yet white) interior panels. Most of them never get into turbos, nitrous, or serious engine work.

At age 25 I don't consider myself out of it yet, but the other thing that disturbs me about the ricers is the personal image and clothing. Not everyone can be Eminem, but it sure seems like they try really hard. I guess I don't understand the super baggy clothes, pearcings, and tats. This all goes back to the degradation of America through Hollywood and the lack of the "big hand" at home. Sorry to ramble on, being way off topic, but these people are just one of the many reasons why I carry a gun.

I'm always down for a friendly race, rice, chevy, whatever. This last one where I got beat was friendly, and fair. Hopefully future ones will be as well.

My regards,

BroncoAZ

Old 06-26-2002, 12:21 PM
BroncoAZ:

Damn I hope at 25 you don't consider yourself out of it. I am 37 and I don't consider myself out of it either

Quick Reply: Lost to rice...