Need help with tach!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with tach!

I know this has been posted many times but the forum seach is off and cant find the info. I'm installing a tach and right now the truck is apart. It didnt come with a tach and im trying to find the signal wire behind the cluster. i need to find where to send the red wire and green wire(signal wire). If i remember correctly the pink and white should go to the green, but there is no pink and white going into the cluster. Plus how do you test if its the right connection and zero's out if the battery is disconnected to prevent the airbags from deploying? Thanks btw its a 98

Old 03-03-2002, 06:31 PM
Run your green wire to PIN 48 on your ECU connector. There is a pink white wire on the trucks with tachs, but yours may not have a wire, you will just need to load your green wire into the connector. Tap your red wire into your fuse box at the radio's fuse. I would prefer using the taps that hold two fuses 1) your original fuse 2) a fuse for your tach. It has a pigtail as part of it that you can cimp your wire to and it just plugs in place of your radio's fuse plus it looks much better than other methods. As far as your airbags deploying, just connect everything, connect your battery and check it out. Most causes for airbags deploying happen when people probe unknown circuits with test lights. Just make sure what you are working with and please use a meter or Lprobe when checking sensative circuits. Have fun!

Old 03-05-2002, 12:49 PM
Drew,
Did you take out your instrument panel and actually look at the wiring harnesses and connector pins. I had a hard time finding mine (way too much tape around those suckers). I have a 97 and the white/pink feeder wire was in the middle connector, about 8 pins from one of the sides. I wish I could find my earlier post about this...I had it all written down and now it is a distant memory. I do remember it being a lot easier than I thought.

I also did check to make sure that it worked by hooking everything up and then taking the signal wire from the tach, and tapping on the pin I thought it to be. Worked fine....well except for when I first tried it, I had the "green" signal wire as the ground, and the ground as the signal wire so it kind of killed the truck when I hit one of the pins??? (this is probably just the thing radar_ranger was talking about) But I fixed that and it has been working like a charm ever since.

Old 03-05-2002, 05:42 PM
Let us know if it worked Andrew. I have a 98 that i would like to put a tack in. where did you get the new instrument cluster? how easy was it to take out the old?

Old 03-05-2002, 08:10 PM
radar_ranger
thanks for all the help....everything is together and running great.

longhorn hoss
I looked behind the cluster but didnt see the white/pink wire... would of been much easier.

1/2 bent
Here is what i used. An autometer pillar with two pod openings. Used the american platinum series 7000rpm tach (#1994) and Quartz clock (#1986)

Old 03-05-2002, 08:53 PM
That looks pretty good. I may look into that.I thought you meant a whole new instrument cluster in the dash. The only problem is all i need is the tach. You said you had a clock and tach. What is the 3rd one on it that i see. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-06-2002, 07:29 PM
1/2 bent
That isnt a pic of my setup. Thats a pic from the autometer website. I opted for the two opening version. Since they dont sell a one opening pillar i just decided to fill the other opening with a clock..... which i might add is very cool looking. Its great to finally see my rpms lol

Quick Reply: Need help with tach!