The dreaded timing chain stretch

Old 07-27-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dreaded timing chain stretch

So, I have to admit that I didn't know this was a thing until last Saturday. The truck in question is a 2014 F150 EcoBoost with 26,000 miles. On my way to Virginia Beach for vacation I noticed a significant loss of power and my CEL came on. On even the slightest grades the transmission would have to shift down to 4th gear just to maintain 70 mph. A stop at the next AutoZone revealed P0016 & P0299 to be the codes causing the CEL. I continued on to the next Ford dealership with a service department open on Saturday and explained the problem. After about 20 minutes I was informed that I would need a new timing chain & turbo. I explained that I was hundreds of miles from home and questioned if I could safely continue to Virginia Beach. I was told "probably, but no promises" that the timing chain won't jump time because they don't know how bad it is.

I continued on to my destination, trying to keep the RPMs as low as possible. I dropped the truck & paperwork from the previous dealership off at Beach Ford in Virginia Beach at 7 am on Monday morning . They still have it today and I am amazingly driving a Ford provided rental. The staff at Beach Ford has been great and I would recommend them to anyone. They have been so awesome to deal with that I am seriously considering making the drive when I purchase my next vehicle. As of right now, even though my truck isn't fixed yet, they have earned my future business.

Now, on to my concern - once this is fixed, can I trust the engine? Should I be concerned this this will happen again? Are there reports of these engines having repeat episodes of a second stretched timing chain? What caused this and how can I change what I do to reduce the chance of it happening again? Being that this is my second EcoBoost engine and both have had problems (the 1st was a 2011 with misfire issues that continued until the day I traded it), I am a bit paranoid about the future of this truck. I want to keep it, but at minimum I will be getting an extended warranty to cover future problems.

Old 07-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've heard of timing chain stretch in other engines, but it's rare. On the Ecoboost I hear it's quite common.

Possibly Ford made an improved timing chain from what I've read.

The whole point of a timing chain is to last the lifetime of the engine.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:29 PM
I picked up the truck this afternoon. I think my issues (bad turbo & timing chain) may have been in the works for a while because the truck seems to run better than I ever remember. Anyway, the timing chain and tensioner were replaced under TSB 17-0026. I have searched around Google & can seem to find a copy of this. Does anybody have a copy of this or a link?

Tomorrow will be the test. The 500 mile trip home will hopefully reveal any issues that may pop up.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:35 PM
glc
Received 755 Likes on 701 Posts
Old 08-02-2018, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Thanks.

This appears to be the latest in a list of several TSBs to address this issue. Considering 2 years have passed without another updated TSB, I am hoping this one actually works in the long term.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:35 PM
Same issue

I wanted to reach out and see if the new timing chain fixed the truck? Did you keep it? We have a 2012 F-150 with 74,000 miles that had the same P0016 code come up with the same drive difficulties as described as the original post.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:16 PM
P0299 Code

The P0299 code, you need to call your dealership and get a Turbocharger Boost Pressure Relief Valve PART# AA5Z-9U465-A. I go one for $57 and works great now. I would lose power going up slight hills and now I have all my power back.

Originally Posted by medic
So, I have to admit that I didn't know this was a thing until last Saturday. The truck in question is a 2014 F150 EcoBoost with 26,000 miles. On my way to Virginia Beach for vacation I noticed a significant loss of power and my CEL came on. On even the slightest grades the transmission would have to shift down to 4th gear just to maintain 70 mph. A stop at the next AutoZone revealed P0016 & P0299 to be the codes causing the CEL. I continued on to the next Ford dealership with a service department open on Saturday and explained the problem. After about 20 minutes I was informed that I would need a new timing chain & turbo. I explained that I was hundreds of miles from home and questioned if I could safely continue to Virginia Beach. I was told "probably, but no promises" that the timing chain won't jump time because they don't know how bad it is.

I continued on to my destination, trying to keep the RPMs as low as possible. I dropped the truck & paperwork from the previous dealership off at Beach Ford in Virginia Beach at 7 am on Monday morning . They still have it today and I am amazingly driving a Ford provided rental. The staff at Beach Ford has been great and I would recommend them to anyone. They have been so awesome to deal with that I am seriously considering making the drive when I purchase my next vehicle. As of right now, even though my truck isn't fixed yet, they have earned my future business.

Now, on to my concern - once this is fixed, can I trust the engine? Should I be concerned this this will happen again? Are there reports of these engines having repeat episodes of a second stretched timing chain? What caused this and how can I change what I do to reduce the chance of it happening again? Being that this is my second EcoBoost engine and both have had problems (the 1st was a 2011 with misfire issues that continued until the day I traded it), I am a bit paranoid about the future of this truck. I want to keep it, but at minimum I will be getting an extended warranty to cover future problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The dreaded timing chain stretch