Known problems with Ecoboost

Old 06-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Known problems with Ecoboost

I copied this from my website, Mercurymarauder.net. This member is usally up to snuff on FOMOCO problems. If this is a repost, please forgive me

Just a small *heads-up* regarding some issues that are showing-up on the F-150s ...
EcoBoost
FoMoCo has yet to resolve the intercooler moisuture issue that causes sudden loss of power. *All years affected, several attempts to resolve the problem have not.
fuel in oil - some of it is a byproduct of DI (Direct Injection), however, the amount is more than expected. *Recent issue yet to be resolved. CHECK YOUR OIL often.
mis-fire, sluggish - carbon build-up on the intake valves (IIRC # 2 and # 3). Caused by the EGR being directly empted to those valves in particular. Upper intake/valve cleaning causes the deposits to trash the turbo's. *Starting to show-up on higher mileage F-150s.
BMS (BatteryMangementSystem (introduced in 2011)
*new* batteries with bad cells.
battery drain causes ...
leaving the key in the ignition after exiting the vehicle and shutting the door. *With this condition the PCM and BCM wake-up every 15minutes to do a system check and then go back to sleep. The BCM portion illuminates the dash during this time.
improper battery charging procedure - the -(negative) charge cable MUST be connected to an engine or frame ground point the the battery's post. AND ... The vehicle cannot have any activity (not even opening a door) for 8 hours. *This can be bypassed by having the BMS reset at the dealership using their IDS (Integrated Diagnotic System) tool.
faulty shift interlock switch. *Doesn't really engage into P(ark).
faulty door-ajar switches.
leaving accessories plugged-into the recepticles. *ALL recepticles (12V and 110V) at hot at all times.
faulty after-market wiring and/or control modules. *Customer -and- dealer installed.
(latest) lack of dielectric grease on the back-up camera's plug/connector in the tailgate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mercman
I copied this from my website, Mercurymarauder.net. This member is usally up to snuff on FOMOCO problems. If this is a repost, please forgive me

Just a small *heads-up* regarding some issues that are showing-up on the F-150s ...
EcoBoost
FoMoCo has yet to resolve the intercooler moisuture issue that causes sudden loss of power. *All years affected, several attempts to resolve the problem have not.
fuel in oil - some of it is a byproduct of DI (Direct Injection), however, the amount is more than expected. *Recent issue yet to be resolved. CHECK YOUR OIL often.
mis-fire, sluggish - carbon build-up on the intake valves (IIRC # 2 and # 3). Caused by the EGR being directly empted to those valves in particular. Upper intake/valve cleaning causes the deposits to trash the turbo's. *Starting to show-up on higher mileage F-150s.
BMS (BatteryMangementSystem (introduced in 2011)
*new* batteries with bad cells.
battery drain causes ...
leaving the key in the ignition after exiting the vehicle and shutting the door. *With this condition the PCM and BCM wake-up every 15minutes to do a system check and then go back to sleep. The BCM portion illuminates the dash during this time.
improper battery charging procedure - the -(negative) charge cable MUST be connected to an engine or frame ground point the the battery's post. AND ... The vehicle cannot have any activity (not even opening a door) for 8 hours. *This can be bypassed by having the BMS reset at the dealership using their IDS (Integrated Diagnotic System) tool.
faulty shift interlock switch. *Doesn't really engage into P(ark).
faulty door-ajar switches.
leaving accessories plugged-into the recepticles. *ALL recepticles (12V and 110V) at hot at all times.
faulty after-market wiring and/or control modules. *Customer -and- dealer installed.
(latest) lack of dielectric grease on the back-up camera's plug/connector in the tailgate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most of these are not just Eb related.

The other are very well known, Not sure about the new models with the condensation problems.. They are few and far between compared to the 11 and 12's

Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 AM
The two that concern me the most are the misfire/low power related to moisture in the intercooler?....but is it possible this TSB has corrected that with a new tune?

And the other one that I'd be concerned with the most is the crud building up on the valves due to the PCV valve.

Question: Is there any safe way to bypass dumping the PCV gases into the engine? Not that I'd ever really do it because I'm paranoid about the warranty and any other issues it would cause, but in theory....doesn't the PCV valve simply pump in the vapors from the crankcase so they get burned up in the cylinder and it's sort of a 'dumb' system still (not really monitored by the computer)?....or is it really monitored and if you tamper with it in any way, it'll cause codes to be triggered? Anyway, let's face it...the PCV crap is just an emissions related thing and technically is not even required (except for the fact that the gov't has emissions rules that force manufacturers to do this).

My truck is brand new (less than 100 miles) and it has the new tune for the moisture/intercooler/misfire issue (code on the intercooler ends with AD and truck was manufactured after the known date when they started loading the new tune at the factory.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Seeing all these issues (not just Ford brand) has officially scared me away from an ecoboost/turbo car. I can deal with the DI issues as you can doing the cleaning service but not this crap. This is with any manufacturer... dealing with symptoms like that would **** me off on a vehicle I'm paying on. I was going to look at the Focus ST after the redesign body for 2015, but no more. Looks like I'll be going with a N/A SE.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Seeing all these issues (not just Ford brand) has officially scared me away from an ecoboost/turbo car. I can deal with the DI issues as you can doing the cleaning service but not this crap. This is with any manufacturer... dealing with symptoms like that would **** me off on a vehicle I'm paying on. I was going to look at the Focus ST after the redesign body for 2015, but no more. Looks like I'll be going with a N/A SE.
Not to sound rude, but you make it sound like there are issues on top of issues with the Eb.. There are a couple.. Every engine will have issues that people post about, chances are you will never have those issues. Im at 35k in 14 months and not 1 issue.. Other members are getting on up there and guess what no issues.

I have a friend that is a manager at a tire testing facility, they have eb's and 5.0s and some of the Eb's are getting close to 400k. No issues at all with Intercooler problems or with the carbon buildup.. Sure they have had a few problems on a couple trucks like trannys and a couple turbo failures but with the 400k and more they have been damn good trucks. Same way with the 5.0, the majority of them have been fine and are pushing the same mileage. A few of em have had oil consumption problems and lost compression on cylinders 7 and 8 along with a couple transmission problems, but would that make you not want a 5.0? I doubt it.

If the Carbon Issue is such a big concern to others then i would recommend catch cans.. That way it may put your mind to ease. Me, Im going to keep driving the hell out of my Eb for many miles to come and i dont have any concern at all (Engine wise)

Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see your point, John. I was skeptical myself when I first heard about the Ecoboost. I've always been an old fashioned type of guy (the more elaborate something is, the more potential there is for stuff to break, etc.). However, I'm gonna have to agree with Coy on this one. And not just because I love my Ecoboost, but mainly because I've learned over the years to stop worrying about things so much. There's always a certain level of risk involved in owning anything mechanical, whether it be a complex design or a simple one. Everything breaks or has issues eventually. I'm not suggesting it's a good habit to drive around blissfully ignorant in a problematic vehicle, I'm just saying as long as you do your best to take care of what you own and maintain it properly, the rest is out of your hands. Ford products have always treated me well, and although I'm sure I'll come across an issue one day, in the meantime I'm just going to enjoy the ride and cross that bridge when I come to it.

EDIT: That sounded a little lecturey Wasn't trying to attack your view John, just relating yours to my own

Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
If the Carbon Issue is such a big concern to others then i would recommend catch cans.. That way it may put your mind to ease. Me, Im going to keep driving the hell out of my Eb for many miles to come and i dont have any concern at all (Engine wise)
Interesting. I didn't even know there was such a product (PCV catch can) until you mentioned it and I just Google'd it.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I complete understand and agree with both of you say, however the lack of a method to clean that crap out is troubling. If they figure it out great... ST time. If not, I'm gonna stick n/a. The technology is intriguing (V8 trucks here though) and I've love it in a car but I want to see more of these into some serious high mileage from typical owners.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by lariatf150
Interesting. I didn't even know there was such a product (PCV catch can) until you mentioned it and I just Google'd it.
There is alot of reading on another eb only forum if you want me to i can send you the link.. Most people sware by them..

Old 06-25-2014, 12:12 PM
There is alot of reading on another eb only forum if you want me to i can send you the link.. Most people sware by them..
No that's ok. Thanks. I'll just keep that in the back of my mind and watch the forums and see if there seems to be a growing problem with the carbon/PCV....and see if Ford issues a TSB. Mine is brand new so I've got some time to sit and watch to see what others are experiencing.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
I see your point, John. I was skeptical myself when I first heard about the Ecoboost. I've always been an old fashioned type of guy (the more elaborate something is, the more potential there is for stuff to break, etc.). However, I'm gonna have to agree with Coy on this one. And not just because I love my Ecoboost, but mainly because I've learned over the years to stop worrying about things so much. There's always a certain level of risk involved in owning anything mechanical, whether it be a complex design or a simple one. Everything breaks or has issues eventually. I'm not suggesting it's a good habit to drive around blissfully ignorant in a problematic vehicle, I'm just saying as long as you do your best to take care of what you own and maintain it properly, the rest is out of your hands. Ford products have always treated me well, and although I'm sure I'll come across an issue one day, in the meantime I'm just going to enjoy the ride and cross that bridge when I come to it.

EDIT: That sounded a little lecturey Wasn't trying to attack your view John, just relating yours to my own
This is exactly what I have learned. There is so much negativity on forums and often it is just regurgitated by someone that doesn't even have the vehicle being bashed. Even after I read all the horror stories on the 6.0, I decided to buy one. I updated all the HPO system o-rings, STC fitting, etc., run a good mild tune, be a stickler on maintenance and monitor. It has been an awesome truck. It was the only Diesel truck out of 4 to start in Minneapolis this winter when a bunch of buddies met up for Nitro Circus (it was -12f). we all had to park on-street and couldn't plug in.

I'm really looking at an EB as the next ride and all I can say is as a buyer, let the crap fly as it will only bring down the price for me to take advantage of.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
This is exactly what I have learned. There is so much negativity on forums and often it is just regurgitated by someone that doesn't even have the vehicle being bashed.
This is sooooo very true. There is a faction in here and every other Ford forum that gets all tingly in their little boy parts whenever they hear EcoBoost and problem used together. Most have never even held the keys to an EB yet they consider themselves as experts on the engine.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
This is sooooo very true. There is a faction in here and every other Ford forum that gets all tingly in their little boy parts whenever they hear EcoBoost and problem used together. Most have never even held the keys to an EB yet they consider themselves as experts on the engine.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:13 AM
Automotive forums tend to have many members who love to buy "stuff" for their vehicles; naturally enough they think the stuff is beneficial in some way.

When I drove a Cadillac CTS I was a member of a CTS forum, the most popular topic on it seemed to be putting CTS-V grilles on regular CTSs.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:07 PM
All I gotta say about the PCV residue on the valves is that my 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel has gone over 200,000 miles without ever having the valves cleaned or touched beyond the Injection harnesses. Its PCV is dumping some supremely nasty 15W40 vapors into the top-end. Diesels have never had injectors to spray fuel on the valves in order to "clean" them.

All I keep hearing is a metric-ton of regurgitated FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and doubt) from the likes of BG trying to get guys to pay for engine treatments. We would have seen this be a real problem long ago with CNG and LP Gas powered engines equipped with PCV if it were as significant an issue as it is being claimed.

I'm not a mechanic, so take what I just said with a grain of salt. One thing I do know is when I'm being fed a line.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Known problems with Ecoboost