Ecoboost has an intermittent grinding noise!!! what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Ecoboost has an intermittent grinding noise!!! what is it?

I've got a 2011 Ecoboost screw Lariat 4x4, 45,000 miles.

Over the course of the last few months, I've been hearing a grinding noise coming from the engine compartment.

Now sometimes it does it right when I first crank the truck. And it sounds like it's coming from the drivers' side. Then sometimes it does it when I put it in gear. It's a very loud grinding noise. My first thought was a fan going out, or maybe the starter. But it's hard to tell. And it's hard to find the problem since it doesn't do it all of the time. I haven't noticed the truck running any different other than a slight loss of power at 55 mph going up a hill.

Any of you guys had that problem? Any suggestions?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Might be the starter bendix hanging in the flex plate. I would get it checked out.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Snider
I've got a 2011 Ecoboost screw Lariat 4x4, 45,000 miles.

Over the course of the last few months, I've been hearing a grinding noise coming from the engine compartment. ...
Chris,

Have you taken your truck to your dealer for a diagnosis? They're going to be in the best position to check this out for you. If you still need a hand once you've visited them, let me know and I'll lend a hand.

Ashley

Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 AM
Chris,

The sound you are likely hearing is the electric vacuum pump. Forced induction gas engines don't always run manifold vacuum so a pump is needed for things like the brake booster and HVAC. There's a vacuum reservoir attached to the cowl on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

The pump runs intermittently. You can force it to come on by pumping the brake pedal rapidly while the engine is running. The reason it makes noise in the cab is because it's attached to the cowl.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:22 PM
I think it may be the vacuum pump. I haven't heard it in a while and it did it again this afternoon. after it stopped I pumped the brakes, and low and behold it did it again. At least now i can do it on demand so the dealer can hear it.

Any fix to it, or will it need replacing?

Old 05-03-2014, 12:53 PM
The noise is a vacuum pump behind the driver's side headlight.
Does anyone know if this part is covered under warranty?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Ashley is right.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by FordService
Chris,

Have you taken your truck to your dealer for a diagnosis? They're going to be in the best position to check this out for you. If you still need a hand once you've visited them, let me know and I'll lend a hand.

Ashley
I had the exact same problem with my 2012 ecoboost. I took it to the dealer and told them it was very random. They said they felt it but cannot pinpoint it. They gave it back to me and said whatever it is it should get worse and maybe then they can detect the problem. Thanks to this forum I will make sure I tell them about the vacuum pump.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost has an intermittent grinding noise!!! what is it?