Gas & Brake Pedal Shake, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas & Brake Pedal Shake, etc.

I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section; I'm a "chick" and truck illiterate. However, I do have car friends who can translate the car talk and hopefully fix the problems. Sadly, my main car person car is a Honda person and only knows manual transmissions.

2003 F-150 Super Cab. 68,000 miles. Automatic Trans. Never had any problems until recently. I have quite a few problems going on here and don't know if any are related. I'm in need (and greatly appreciative) if somebody could give me some ideas on what needs to be looked at and repaired.

1) Shift Indicator out of whack; Drive shows I'm in 1st gear, etc. Had no other tranny problems aside from that until recently- this happened last year. I pulled up an article on how to repair this simple problem but now I'm concerned it's something deeper because I'm starting to hear a "clank" when shifting gears (automatic trans).

2) Check Engine Light (came on about 50,000 miles, no noticeable problems)- I read this can be reset??

3) Water leak from backside of engine. Originally attributed this to my AC but it's still leaking now that it's winter. All fluid levels are fine.

4) Now the new problem- I'm getting a "shake" on the brake pedal when I stop, then on the gas pedal when I'm going from the brake to accelerate. I can also hear a "clank" when I'm turning sometimes. Seems to be coming from the front end. Brakes are fine.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Again, I apologize if this was posted in the wrong section. I searched for some of these problems on already posted forums, saw somebody with the shaking problem, he was directed to post in the drivetrain section- I looked for the drivetrain section and can't find one! Gotta love vehicle illiterate chicks. Thank you!

Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far a the check engine light, go to an auto parts store and have them read the codes for free. You don't want to reset it. Even if there aren't any noticeable issues, the CEL is on for a reason.

Shifter indicator off should be an easy fix. I've heard there's type of dial under the dash that can be turned. Though, I have a manual transmission so I can't say for sure.

Are you sure the leak is water? Is it clear and have you smelled it?

The shake on the brake pedal could warped rear rotors.

If your truck is a 4.2 V6, you posted in the right part of the forum. Here, or the 1997 - 2003 would be the right place.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't have a location listed so I can't guess what your weather is like but the water leak could be from the defroster running. The defroster uses the A/C system to dry the air out. This makes condensation which drains on the right side of the firewall. If it was engine coolant it would smell like anti-freeze and have some color to it. If you can describe the color, smell and exact location it would make it a lot easier to pinpoint the issue.

Like stated above, go to a parts store and have them pull the CEL codes. They will do it for free and it will give the people here a lot more info to work with.

Quick Reply: Gas & Brake Pedal Shake, etc.