Ignition coil upgrade?

Old 12-20-2018, 03:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Fifty150
I do agree with Blue Oval Fitter that Ford Motorcraft parts will always be a good option. With every part on the car, OEM should not fail you. And most OEM Ford Motorcraft parts are actually good.

For the most part, that is true with most cars. You can't go wrong with the OEM parts. Most of the over-the-counter stuff at auto supply chains just isn't that great. Champion, Fram, Duralast, Autolite......wouldn't work well with a Ford, or Honda, or Mercedes, or any other car, compared to the OEM part.

I remember once buying a "Car And Driver" licensed, branded battery from an auto parts store, because the car was such a junker, and I only wanted to install the least expensive battery.

At about $3, the Ford Motorcraft spark plug in a Ford is hard to beat. It's the OEM, and it's cheap. There is room for improvement beyond OEM performance. I think it's worth the money to buy an Optima battery. I spend extra money for drilled & slotted brakes. I'm using a Goodyear Gatorback fan belt. I think you can do better than the OEM Hankook tires. But it's harder to justify upwards of $20 for an oil filter when Ford is about $3. You cannot save any money using Wal*Mart Super Tech filters.

I like using OEM whenever possible, and when it's efficient. However, I'm open minded to using other products. I just bought an AC Delco fuel filter, and AC Delco wiper blades. For whatever reason, pricing was about 1/2. I'm currently using E3 spark plugs, because I got them for $0.88. I have a MSD coil, because I found it on sale for $75, when the Motorcraft was $110 Is the MSD any better, in any way? No. Just a little less expensive that day. I have used all sorts of brands of Mercon V......As long as it says Mercon V, I don't care if it's Wal*Mart, Pennzoil, Castrol, or Amalie. Whatever synthetic blend or full synthetic is on sale, and I have a coupon, is what I'll use as long as it is 5W-20 or 0W-20. I've added 5W-30, since i had some left over, without any issues.

I am pretty certain, that over the years, none of the extra money spent on boutique brand oils has been worth the money. I was young, enthusiastic, had long hair, sideburns, and a moustache. Jim Jones was serving up Kool Aid in Guyana, Dan White was on a Twinkie diet, it was "The Golden Age" for adult videos, and I drove a Mustang II. Nobody understands the Quaalude Era.
You wanna bet?

Old 12-22-2018, 02:53 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll bet that you were on a 1st name basis with Mr. Cosby, and had a CB radio in your 70's *******' Wagon Van.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition coil upgrade?