Fuel system problem..what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I THINK?? but not sure that I found the PCV valve location behind the coil pack on the crank case but cannot be sure because there is only have one hose coming from it which looks to be a ventilation hose. Can this be it? Do all PCV have the three hoses?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is where it connects to the rocker cover, follow the pipe/hose up to the throttle body. That is where the PCV is at, IIRC one or two screws hold it in. The short hose at either end can/will be suspect, also check the hard plastic pipe that is in between.

You are on the right track, post up what you find.

Good luck
Jim

Old 05-15-2011, 07:16 PM
If it were a snake, I'd been bit. The funny thing is, I replaced the small 6 or 8 inch short piece of hose that comes off of the PCV and attaches to the plastic hose last year due to the rubber being all eaten up. Tomorrow I plan on checking all hoses and elbows. Should I take the PCV off if I suspect a sticky PCV valve and replace it?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wouldn't hurt but it's about a $35 item and dealer only. What you are looking for right now is vacuum leaks, so check all the hoses real good. Even the brake booster hose can give you those codes.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Finally getting to the truck again today. It is my fiance and I's only transportation with 4 wheels so getting to it during the week is impossible. I am going to take it off today and do a 100% inspection. How do I know if the PCV is sticking?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM
had similar symptoms and checked everything mentioned above, and much to my surprise it ended up being the downstream oxygen sensor, the one behind catalytic converter on drivers side. Turns out some fuel treatments can harm the o2 sensors. not sure if this is the issue, but i pulled mine out and soaked in rubbing alcohol for about an hour and let air dry then reinstalled and no problems, until i added gumout fuel injector cleaner then the same codes and symptoms came about. repeated the steps over minus the fuel treatment 5 weeks later still no problems.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I use fuel treatments quite often. I will try and see if removing that O2 sensor and soaking it will work. Finally getting back to working on the truck again after 2 weeks. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Well, I changed the PCV valve and the truck is still running rough. I guess my next step is to try the O2 sensor remove and soak.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Finally went to dealership. They said it was the intake seals and ign. coil. Any special tools needed for those jobs?

Quick Reply: Fuel system problem..what to do next?