RedThunder

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post RedThunder

Red Thunder can you tell me if the crank damper is the same thing as the crank shaft position sensor? You replied to my post at this link.. https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000525.html
You told me to check the crank damper but I dont know anything about what that could be.
I tried changing the fuel filter but that didnt help one bit. If the problem is what you think it could be how much would it cost to have it fixed, and do you think ford will recall this?
Thank you for your time.
Please email me at race_place@msn.com

Old 03-04-2001, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The damper (harmonic balancer) is pressed directly onto the front of the crank and held in place with a bolt.

If you look where the engine belt goes around the crank pulley, look directly behind the pulley, you'll see an aluminum hub, with a toothed ring riveted on to it. This is the damper assembly, the aluminum tends to crack, just behind the toothed wheel part. This then causes the piece that is still pressed on the crank to rotate independently of the toothed wheel and pulley.

This toothed wheel is what tells the PCM where the crank is, and how fast it's turning, once it begins to go out of time with the crank, the engine will buck, miss and eventually not run, as the timing gets completely out of whack.

If you see any evidence of a crack, you need to fix it asap. Our local Ford dealer had 10 trucks with this problem at their shop, and a couple of theirs and the one at our shop needed motors, as the nose of the crank was wasted by the loose piece, this also beats the threads right out of the crank, as the bolt is forcibly pulled out of the hole.

I think the damper assembly and bolt were somewhere around $200, I think Ford eventually will recall it, but only after many owners complain.