Very Impressed

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2000, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Very Impressed

I live in Phoenix and yesterday made the trip to Flagstaff. Before I left I did the airbox mod.(cutting the airbox just after the two mounting pegs,exposing the filter) I had made the trip before with the flowmaster and chip mods, and stock as well. Let me tell you the difference was amazing!! This truck breathes so much easier. I could tell two blocks from my house, the increased throttle response and how much more quickly the RPM's climbed. Just a little geography lesson-Phoenix elevation is about 1100ft. and Flag is about 8000ft.(within about 130 miles) So there are some pretty steep grades to climb. The first time i went up i had to use 3rd gear quite a bit. This time i used 4th twice and was still going 68-70mph. Flying by new Blazers and Jimmys(4.3's)and even a couple full size trucks. I was grining from ear to ear. And the A/C was on!! Just goes to show ya the great info you can find on this great web site with good people!!!! THANKS

------------------
98 black 4.2l 4x4
superchip
50 series delta duals
profile bug guard
thunderforms box w/10"
jl audio subs/ppi amps

Old 10-03-2000, 01:13 PM
Question

What airbox mod are you talking about? Do you have a picture or link?

------------------
2000 F-150XL Standard Cab, 4.2L/5-speed, Toreador Red, Matching ARE LSII Series
Lid, Bugflector II. No door cracks yet at 16,000 miles!

dsides@netscape.net

Old 10-03-2000, 01:15 PM
Question

What airbox mod are you talking about? Do you have a picture or link?

------------------
2000 F-150XL Standard Cab, 4.2L/5-speed, Toreador Red, Matching ARE LSII Series
Lid, Bugflector II. No door cracks yet at 16,000 miles!

dsides@netscape.net

Old 10-03-2000, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Shooter,

Congratulations on the success of your mods!

This is especially important as altitude rises, as of course the oxygen content in the atmosphere is reduced as altitude increases.

For every 1000 ft. in elevation above sea level, you will lose 3.5% of your power in a normally-aspirated gasoline engine, just to give you an example, so being able to breath, and get air into that motor gets even more important with altitude.

Have fun!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 10-08-2000, 11:12 AM
Talking

shooter, What did you cut your air box with? Did the cut come out straight? And does the filter seal well? Do you have any pictures? Taxman

Old 10-10-2000, 03:26 PM
Cool

dsides/taxman, im going to post pictures soon. the airbox as you know is made up of two halves. both halves are needed to make a good seal on the air filter. so what i did was leave about two inches of the second half of the airbox on. this second half also has the two mounting pegs (located on the bottom side of airbox) on it that keep the airbox from moving around. i used a dremmel tool to cut the airbox from the pegs all the way around, and then finished the edges with some sandpaper. the end product exposes 90% of the filter, and removes the small restricting inlet that goes into the fender. it probably took longer to write this than to actually do the mod. so basicly you are removing the material from the two pegs to the fender.

hope it helps, pictures soon

shooter

Quick Reply: Very Impressed