BAD FUEL TANKS=Black tailpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BAD FUEL TANKS=Black tailpipe?

Hi Y'all, I've posted on my problems in rusty fuel injectors and fuel injector cleaner.

But there seems to be a possible connection to the Black sooty tailpipes and the messed up "disintigrating fuel tanks" causing all the fuel system problems. Please let us all know if you have had fuel problems or any other problems and have/don't have the black sooty ring on tailpipes. Thanks

------------------
Y2K F150 4x4 XL Med Torredor Red
4.2 5 speed,AIRAID, SuperCHIP,
3.55 LS, Leer camper shell, bedrug,
Ranchhand Rover Brushguard 2X Off road lights
Tint/alarm/ aftermarket keyless entry/locks
2m radio, CB, 3 Scanners
regulator@f150driver.com

Old 09-26-2000, 10:51 PM
REGULATOR,
I also have a sooty tailpipe. As far as I can remember it has been sooty, but not to bad. I have recently installed the computer chip and airaid. My tail pipe has become more sooty, I had believed that it was due to the richer fuel I am know using.
Have you had any problems such as rough starts periodically? Every so often I have to crank it a little longer and when it finally starts it sputters and almost dies.
I have a 98 4.2 auto, with 34,000 miles.
Just wondering, seeing if there were a few other symptoms to narrow it down. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2000, 06:50 AM
Exclamation

REGULATOR I have the same problem with the black sooty tailpipe. Hell mine was so bad that I had to get a turn down cause it was blowing on my truck. A while back people here said that it was normal for Ford trucks. I even brought mine in and my dealer said everything checked out fine. That was about 4 months ago and the truck is still running great. I hope this is normal cause I don't want anything to happen to my baby.....

------------------
99 4.2 XLT Red Flareside Sport, K&N Filter, Black Nerf bars, catback exhaust,Superchip and whatever comes next...

Old 09-27-2000, 07:39 AM
Smile

Well Mine had a sooty ring from day one, and had soot around all the connections along the pipe. But it seemed to run great, especially for a 4x4 v-6, when I had the Check engine light it still ran great except it stalled 2-3 times then started back up. I'm really not sure if it is the fuel tank, according to my service tech my tank has been flushed and inspected and shows no signs of damage( no pitting or peeling) so I still have no explanation for the clogged fuel lines or rusty fuel injectors or High fuel pressure at the fuel rail ( 80 lbs VS 40 lbs) I'm going to take a photo of the tail pipe and post so everyone can see what I am talking about.
My intake manifold ( runners) were really carmel and dark on the inside also.
I wish we could figure this out, or settle weather this is "Normal" or not (sooty tailpipe that is) Oh I only have 18,000 miles and thats almost all highway

Quick Reply: BAD FUEL TANKS=Black tailpipe?