Looking for exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2000, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking for exhaust advice

Okay here's the deal...I've been reading and reading and reading and I can't seem to get this straight. I want to upgrade the exhaust system on my 4.2 but I want to do it more for the performance rather than the sound. Granted a little rumble wouldn't hurt but I want it to stay pretty quiet. So here's my questions. Do I go with a single in dual out system ora single in single out(ie. will the duals kill low end performance on a six?) Do I just change the muffler and keep the stock pipes? Is a Gibson set up quieter than a Flowmaster? because it seems that everyone is choosing the Flowmaster 40 for sound reasons. What is the best set-up for "performance"? I went to the exhaust forum and just got more confused 'cause I think the six is a different animal than the big eights in this situation. I'd appreciate any advice.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab, Deep Wedgewood Blue w/ Dark Graphite interior, Captains chairs, Lariat Wheels. Clarion CD receiver w/ MTX Thunderform rear speakers, window tint. More mods to come.

Old 08-19-2000, 02:53 PM
Banned
I would go with flowmasters. There is a new DynaFlow muffler out from flowmaster that I believe makes the sound a little quieter but it still give you a nice sound out the pipe.

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Clearcoat Red
4x2
4x4 wheels
Stepside, K&N, bedliner
32inch tires,flowmaster
tint, matching ford sticker
5spd fully loaded, hidden hitch
Comming soon:
spark plugs/wires,leveling kit,toolbox,
bed rails,push bar, CB with whiplash,
clear corner lenses,brush guard, blackouts,
edlebrock shocks, hypertech, K&N induction system,KC highlighters,
bed xtender, BOSE audio or infinity gold, disc changer,
side steps, dixie horn, white faaced gauges, and those small fender flares some 4x4's have,
matching boddy color of course, and some of those door guards,ventshade visors, power pulleys, that is all
i can think of right now

Old 08-19-2000, 08:58 PM
Question

hey IndigoDream-
did you ever get the sound file i sent you of the flowmaster 40 on my truck? i have a single in , dual out system , with 2.5 inch pipes. if you did hear the sound , is it to loud for what you want?
========================
99 F150xl , silver frost
auto , 3.55 gears , 4.2 V6
s/c , s/b
sport package
Flowmaster 40 series (single in dual out)
3 inch slashcut chrome tips
K&N air Filtercharger,
AVS tail light covers , Ventvisor window shades , and Bugflector II bug deflector.
Door crack , on drivers side --- L
CLICK HERE TO SEE MY TRUCK http://silverf150.friendpages.com

Old 08-19-2000, 10:56 PM
99silversport,

Could you send me the audio of your exhaust too.

Thanks in advance,

EMAIL==> lostoak@yahoo.com

Old 08-20-2000, 10:21 PM
Talking

Hey Indigo,
I was in the same boat as you..I finaly took maters into my own hand and went with a Flowmaster 50 (SUV). It has 2.5 inlet and dual 2.25 outlets. I am very happy with what I have done. It isn't all that load and it really helped with performance. The bottom line is that nobody is going to know what you want except you. If you also want to help with the performance part you should look at the article in the Thechnical section "Airbox Mods" by Steve Wroblewski it hepled me out a bunch and saved me a load of cash. The only thing that I did diffrent was that I used the filter side of the Filter housing. I cut the housing around the outside lip and around the two tabs that push into the holes at the bottom. Looks good and fits tight. Hope I was of a little help.

Old 08-21-2000, 08:52 AM
Hey SilverSport~

Yeah I got your file and it sounds great but I just can't be sure (Its hard to tell without being there). Thanks for the assistance

Does anyone have any opinions regarding single out versus dual out? and does anyone have any experience with the Gibson as opposed to the Flowmaster?

Thanks everybody

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab, Deep Wedgewood Blue w/ Dark Graphite interior, Captains chairs, Lariat Wheels. Clarion CD receiver w/ MTX Thunderform rear speakers, window tint. More mods to come.

Old 08-21-2000, 01:09 PM
Thumbs up

I just had a gibson single installed this weekend on my 99 4.2L 4x4 Reg Cab. It was a little more expensive than a flowmaster, but I think it's worth it. The second I drove it out of the shop I felt the increased power. It sounds almost exactly the same as stock, a little bit more of a rumble but hardley noticeable. It's exactly what I wanted, better power without the noise.

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2000, 02:01 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks alot WhiteRider, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. By the way, did you consider installing it yourself?

------------------

Old 08-21-2000, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another option for the V-6's is the Borla system. It has a very distinctive but not overbearingly loud V-6 "growl", that is very nice. Power gains are as good as anyone else's system, though it is a bit more expensive, since it's T-304 stainless steel.

We usually use Borla on any of our vehicles that are not V-8's, due to the distinctive & richly defined growl and the nice power gain throughout the rpm range, without punching a hole in the torque corve down low.

There are less expensive systems out there, certainly. If you want the best tone (which is of course a matter of personal taste) we've ever heard on the F-150 V-6, it's the Borla.

Just FYI........

Best of luck, whatever you decide!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 08-21-2000, 04:04 PM
Question

Mike~

A few questions please. I went to the Borla web page and couldn't find a set for six. Could you give me some specifics regarding the Borla systems (is it a single or dual, item number, etc.) Thanks for your advice.

------------------

Old 08-21-2000, 08:06 PM
Cool

I thought about installing it myself, but as soon as I got under my truck I knew I couldn't do it. I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. Also, the system had to be cut because it was to long for the Reg Cab Short bed I own, and I had the guy weld it on. Probably would have taken me 3-4 hours, took the shop 30 min. The Borla would have cost me about $150 more, to expensive for my taste. I don't have the money for top of the line, but I don't want the bottom of the barrel is how I look at it. Now its, time for an Airaid.

Old 08-22-2000, 10:55 PM
Banned
Silver did you notice any loss in power or low end when you installed your new exhaust??
any help would be highly appreciated.

CHris

Old 08-23-2000, 07:24 PM
Cool

hey bomber - there was in increase in power , nothing off the line , but after that , an increase was noticed.
=====================
99 F150xl , silver frost
auto , 3.55 gears , 4.2 V6
s/c , s/b
sport package
Flowmaster 40 series (single in dual out)
3 inch slashcut chrome tips
K&N air Filtercharger,
AVS tail light covers , Ventvisor window shades , and Bugflector II bug deflector.
Door crack , on drivers side --- >:-(
CLICK HERE TO SEE MY TRUCK http://silverf150.friendpages.com

Old 08-24-2000, 06:15 PM
Cool

Yes I have the Borla One in One out. I like the sound over the flowmaster. It does not have that blown out sound that the flowmaster has. I got very lucky and found it one Ebay. I only paid 48 dollars with shipping for it. It was 175 bucks at the store just for the muffler. And it has a much better look. It does not rust like the others.

------------------
99 Extended V-6,3.55,K@N filter,Borla Exhaust,Billet Grill,17 inch Fittapaldi Rims,Lowered 2 inches

Quick Reply: Looking for exhaust advice