87 EFI 300-6 problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 EFI 300-6 problem

Hello all, this is my first post, and wish it was under better circumstances. I got my 87 F-150 from my Dad, he purchased it in 1996 as a second owner, and it has been a great truck. -BUT- I did a big no-no the other day and crossed the battery terminals, but in my defense they are both black cables, at least they were, I have replaced the positive with a red one to no longer make that mistake again in the future . Long story short, I got a little puff of smoke out of the solenoid area where the battery/alternator etc. plug into on the fender well just above the battery. The truck at the time would start, but ran horribly, until finally it just wouldn't fire. The first place I checked was the fuse panel and searched out the EFI and noticed that the horn is on the same fuse, and sure enough my horn was gone as well. Dug into it this morning and found that I had popped the fusable link that runs from the solenoid to the 2 plugs on the alternator. No big deal, went a bought on and put it in, 14 gauge just like the one that popped, then I hooked it all up, and checked the horn, and it worked.....once. I then proceeded to attempt to fire it, just turned over and nothing. I checked the fuse panel again, fuse is still good, checked the new fusable link I put it, that is still good as well. After all that still nothing, no horn, no EFI, no fuel to start it. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Quick Reply: 87 EFI 300-6 problem